4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

caliper painting-save some $$

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:31 PM
trublu02
1st Gear Member

Default caliper painting-save some $$

Ok I have seen alot of caliper posts lately so I thought i'd share this. my friend paints calipers and wheels on the side for people and he uses regular Rustoleum-$3.50 per can. He and some others have even been to some open track events and got their brakes smokin hot with no color change or peeling. I was shocked. Just thought i'd pass this on. this really broadens color choices.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:50 PM
gt_stang101
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: caliper painting-save some $$

Painting mine right now withthe duplicolor kit($15). I didn't know it was going to besuch a PITA. First,it took about 15 minutes to get the wheel off, turns outthe people who put them on tightened them way toomuch, finally had to get a2 ft long pipe and stickit on the ratchet to brakeit loose. Thenit has taken me about an hour topaint ONE (with a brush). Didn't know this would take so long/bea pita...

Sorry to Hijak thread []
Old 03-23-2007, 01:24 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

**** I just bought a can of metallic Duplicolor auto spraypaint and just sprayed em. I covered the caliper pistons and had the rotors off. I painted the caliper to spindle anchors seperate on a cardboard box then just tried my best to direct the ret of the paint on the calipers. Overspray wasn't an issue. I'm interested to see if the paint will hold up to the heat of the brake system without having to buy the Engine Enamel stuff.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Using a cheaper paint has the advantages of being able to change the color without having to spend any more money than you have to.
gt_stang 101,
I take a torque wrench to the shop when I am going to have the rims removed,state inspections and such,and tighten my own lug nuts right there in front of everybody.I do get some funny looks butI don't get warped rotors or rims.A beam type torque wrench works well for this purpose.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Using a cheaper paint has the advantages of being able to change the color without having to spend any more money than you have to.
gt_stang 101,
I take a torque wrench to the shop when I am going to have the rims removed,state inspections and such,and tighten my own lug nuts right there in front of everybody.I do get some funny looks butI don't get warped rotors or rims.A beam type torque wrench works well for this purpose.
+1

Overtightening or not evenly torquing the lug nuts is a sure method to get warped rotors.
Chryslers are particularly sensetive to this.

FWIW I ask the guy to use a torque stick on the impact hammer and if he looks confused, I pull my torque wrench out of the trunk and show him how to use it.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:15 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Don't know about Rustoleom but Dupli-color is your best bang for the buck IMHO
Old 03-23-2007, 02:23 PM
NORMAN99
2nd Gear Member

I painted my stock calipers yellow. The way i did it was of course use primer thenDupi color then baked them in the oven for a while. It came out alright, just hard to keep clean.
Later i said F**k it im just going to buy them stock painted.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

No problems with Dupli-color here:

Old 03-24-2007, 01:48 AM
gt_stang101
2nd Gear Member

Update:
I had just finished the fronts, tightened the lugs back on (without overtightening) and started working on the left rear. Well, of course, they were too tight, had to bring out the pipe again. Got 4 of them off, was working on the 5th. BAM, it comes off, at first I thought I had stripped it, got to looking at it... I split the socket I was using... that's how tight these things are on here. Granted it was the cheap socket that came with the lugnuts, but still... So now my front ones are painted, but I have to go to town and get another socket to do the rears. [&:]
Old 03-24-2007, 01:56 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

gt_stang 101,
1st, I hand tighten,then I tighten with breaker bar until it stops, then a 1/4 turn more with my leg.On every lug nut (even the locking ones)....never lost a wheel and never shimmied.

Quick Reply: caliper painting-save some $$