4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TB install and aftermath

Old 03-24-2007, 09:10 PM
RC5522
2nd Gear Member

Default TB install and aftermath

Ok. I threw on a 75mm PP TB and a PP plenum back in DEC.
I noticed the neutral idle drop about 100 rpm after that and upon heavy excelleration i would get a whistle sound but only while in gear. So I got some new gaskets, plenum,tb,iac,egr. Checked all the hoses and stuff all the gaskets are new and on ,all bolts are snug, all wires connected.

Now no more whistle..

But now when comming to a stop I notice the rpm drops on occasion to 500 rpm.And the idle is still roughly 100 rpm lower than stock.

So before I go messing around with idle adjustments and crap ...I'd like you smart ones to give me some feedback.

Other than adjusting the Screw on the TB is there any other way to adjust the idle ?
I also have a tuner thats just waiting to run a tune ( Waiting to do gears before the tune)
Can the tuner assist this in any form ?

TY for the feedback

Old 03-24-2007, 09:34 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: TB install and aftermath

You do know that whistle doesn't mean something is wrong right? It happens to a lot of people with a TB and CAI. I doubt that it is gone. When I took mine apart cause I thought something was wrong, I put it all back and I was like yessss it's gone. A couple days later it will come back, maybe. don't know what I can tell you about the idle, all i knew what the screw and most companies tell you not to mess with it because it is preset at the factory
Old 03-24-2007, 10:03 PM
gill7784
2nd Gear Member

You could give this a try:

Disconnect the battery for about a half hour to reset the computer. Maybe your comp needs to learn the in's and out's of the new intake.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:30 PM
RC5522
2nd Gear Member

Hmm that could very well be true. That's probably why they say to disconnet the battery.I always thought it had to do with the "Shock" Factor lol
Im going to try that tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:31 PM
RC5522
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97modifiedmustangGT

You do know that whistle doesn't mean something is wrong right? It happens to a lot of people with a TB and CAI. I doubt that it is gone. When I took mine apart cause I thought something was wrong, I put it all back and I was like yessss it's gone. A couple days later it will come back, maybe. don't know what I can tell you about the idle, all i knew what the screw and most companies tell you not to mess with it because it is preset at the factory
Yeah that "whistle" was non existant the first three days or so when I put in the parts in DEC.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

Most times when there are idle issues it has to do with the throttle position sensor being installed slightly off. Generally the complaints are of a high or hanging idle but the computer compensates for it after it learns it after 15 minutes or soof driving after the TB install.

Notall cars will idle at the exact same rpm after the install. 100 rpm lower in your case isn't much to worry about in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:37 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

My car is auto, I have a CAI but stock tb/plenum. When in gear, I idle at probably 550 rpms, and occassionally when coming to a stop it drops to 400-450 and then pops back up to 550. I have always thought it to be slightly lower than it should be, but to the best of my knowledge it is no problem.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:38 PM
RC5522
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DTK

Most times when there are idle issues it has to do with the throttle position sensor being installed slightly off. Generally the complaints are of a high or hanging idle but the computer compensates for it after it learns it after 15 minutes or soof driving after the TB install.

Notall cars will idle at the exact same rpm after the install. 100 rpm lower in your case isn't much to worry about in my opinion.
Yeah true 100 isnt much to worry about . But that occassional drop to 500 while slowing down kinda pisses me off
Old 03-24-2007, 11:24 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

My car is auto, I have a CAI but stock tb/plenum. When in gear, I idle at probably 550 rpms, and occassionally when coming to a stop it drops to 400-450 and then pops back up to 550. I have always thought it to be slightly lower than it should be, but to the best of my knowledge it is no problem.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
+1 from another auto owner.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

The whistle is normal, I personally love it . The idle with the car in park/neautral should be 800 rpms, while in gear it should be 600 rpms (as it comes stock). I dont know about other tuners but with my SCT tuner I can adjust RPM settings for when inneautral and while in gear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TB install and aftermath