4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

K&N...Why Ruin Your Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:05 AM
NORMAN99
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: K&N...Why Ruin Your Motor?

Sprostang,
Where in the hell do you get your awesome pic....lol.........
Old 03-25-2007, 04:11 AM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

WOW!.. I don't even know what to say about that post. IMO, K&N is THE BEST FILTER! I put one on my stock GT when I had it and the whole car just felt a lot better and breathed better. And I guarantee every single car I have after my Cobra will have a K&N on it. And I probably would've gotten a K&N on my Cobra if it came with an inlet tube. I've never heard of anyone having ANY problems with a K&N filter. I don't even know where you're coming from on this. Don't try to ruin the reputation of K&N on this site and make people think twice about owning/purchasing one. Waaaay too many people here are using them and are completely satisfied with the performance of their filter. Your post is not going to change that.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:39 AM
GTowner4life
3rd Gear Member

I want to see what piece of sh*t he drives.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:42 AM
NORMAN99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

WOW!.. I don't even know what to say about that post. IMO, K&N is THE BEST FILTER! I put one on my stock GT when I had it and the whole car just felt a lot better and breathed better. And I guarantee every single car I have after my Cobra will have a K&N on it. And I probably would've gotten a K&N on my Cobra if it came with an inlet tube. I've never heard of anyone having ANY problems with a K&N filter. I don't even know where you're coming from on this. Don't try to ruin the reputation of K&N on this site and make people think twice about owning/purchasing one. Waaaay too many people here are using them and are completely satisfied with the performance of their filter. Your post is not going to change that.
+1 I have used K&N all my life ....no issues and never noticed a degrade.........
Old 03-25-2007, 09:25 AM
SixEight
2nd Gear Member

I do use a K&N in my Mustang, but I don't have a blind trust in the company.

I have read an article in the past regarding K&N filters. They do allow larger particles through. However, you're talking about a couple of microns. This stuff isn't going to make a difference. Technically K&N is a "worse" filter. I use K&N knowing this. Mostly I stick with them because it's reusable.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:46 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmm...
Nothing bad here:

http://www.dieselpage.com/knair.htm

or here:

http://news.hspn.com/authors/239/HSP...-N-Air-Filters

Here's an interesting one. Look under "other articles"...

http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylo...;NFilters.htmlBasically it tells you not to use it if u plan on driving throughtthe desert everyday, because of the larger holes [8D][:@]There go my plans [&:]

One from the Big Nasty Meany Guys [:'(]at K&N Filters themselves:
http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm

LOL. I mean there wasn't one site saying anything bad. If it were true there would be more articles on the issue.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:19 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Ok.... well... lets look at the facts! Guess what.... if you PROPERLY oil your asftermarket filter... be it K&N or otherwise ABSOLUTLEY NONE of that oil will enter then motor!! N O N E ! ! ! It just plain wont get past the filter! but guess what... here is a revelation... oh no... holy ****! That Oil you put on the filter.,.. oh no.... wow.... amazing... it ATTRACTS DUST/DIRT!!!!! So guess what?? All that dirt/dust STOPS at the filter... casue... holy****ing****batman.... oil will stop it!!!! Wow.... a company that has been around for years is actually right in it's claims! yea..... paper is SOOOOOOO much better than a filter that stops smaler particles from entering the engine!! Yea.... so if it was so bad guess what... it would void the warranty! BUT IT DOSENT! So visit WWW.Go****Yourself.com And have a nice day!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 AM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hanna Banger
So why the big K&N push in Mustang community?
because when you start making some real power.....the entire stock intake is gone...... and u no longer use paper filters A. because they flow less (yes the k&n is better, prove otherwise and not internet bull****, some real tests) and B. the filter needs to be down where its sucking cold air out of the fenderwell, not sitting under the hood baking.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Octane
2nd Gear Member

Air filters are stupid. I don't use any. I use a coffee filter duct taped to my throttle body. I change the coffee filter often, if I liked the coffee flavor I will not through away thefilter but I will put it in my engine used. My exhaust smells like vanilla bistro. Do you think K&N can do that? I think not.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:05 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SixEight

I do use a K&N in my Mustang, but I don't have a blind trust in the company.

I have read an article in the past regarding K&N filters. They do allow larger particles through. However, you're talking about a couple of microns. This stuff isn't going to make a difference. Technically K&N is a "worse" filter. I use K&N knowing this. Mostly I stick with them because it's reusable.
+1
IMHO what it boils down to, like everything else in life, is a trade off.
The best flow, and best power, you can get is with no air fliter.
The best filtration is with a media that has very small holes and .
Small holes and good flow don't usually go hand in hand so you have to trade filtering for performance.

Here is a good site showing the advantages of K&N filters over conventional filters:

http://www.aptfast.com/KN_Additional...lter_facts.htm

Here is a site showing K&N not doing so good:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

In a FI car a good physically sturdy filter and intake tube is a must due to the amount of air being sucked in so a paper filter is not
going to suffice IMHO.

Personally I feel that dry, washable microfober filters are the future because I would rather not take chances with oiled filters mucking up
my engine especially since the performance gain is little or nothing despite what people claim and the microfiber filter takes the best of the K&N design without requiring the oil.

I say, use what makes you and your car happy and your car will be fine.

Quick Reply: K&N...Why Ruin Your Motor?