4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

K&N...Why Ruin Your Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Hanna Banger

Default K&N...Why Ruin Your Motor?

I fail to understand the reasoning behind using an oiled filter like a K&N over a stock paper filter, or one of the washable microfiber filters like Amsoil offers.

K&N really seems to be a big thing in the Mustang community and I simply don't get it.
Do you guys realize that just about every test, from independent labs, has determined that K&N or any oiled filter for that matter, does nothing for your performance but yet has the ability to muck up your entire intake system?
I tried a K&N on both my 2006 Corvette and my GMC Suburban and in both cases, with the stock pre-oiledK&N my intake was a mess with gunk after a few thousand miles.
Others are reporting the same problems with contaminated MAF sensors and such.
Think about it, if you totally remove your air filter and do a run at the strip what kind of numbers do you get?
ANYTHING you put into the air system is only going to make that go downhill so why mess with some oily POS that could possibly destroy your engine?
Test after test has proven that K&N lets much larger particles through compared to plain paper filters.
So why do you want to sandblast your motor?
Is their any gain in HP over paper or washable microfiber?

So why the big K&N push in Mustang community?

The rest of the HP world has already discovered that K&N = Short motor life.
Why not the Mustang crowd?
Personally I wouldn't let one of those oily POS near any car I have.
But that's just my and many test labs opinion.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 AM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Default RE: K&N...Why Ruin Your Motor?

Is that the only reason you joined this forum...to bash on K&N?

I want proof that it was strictly the K&N oiled filter that fubared up someones engine. Maybe, and I mean maybe, I could see it somewhat happening if someone put way to much oil on the filter. But going by K&N reccommendations, I wouldnt see where a little oil to help stop particles would affect your engine.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:54 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

Where's the proof in what you're saying?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:58 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GThopeful

Is that the only reason you joined this forum...to bash on K&N?

I want proof that it was strictly the K&N oiled filter that fubared up someones engine. Maybe, and I mean maybe, I could see it somewhat happening if someone put way to much oil on the filter. But going by K&N reccommendations, I wouldnt see where a little oil to help stop particles would affect your engine.
Actually she has a point.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...mp;Board=UBB15

Lot's of information here, but honestly if PROPERLY USED AND OILED, I don't see any problem however personally I don't feel it's worth it.
K&N just released a filter wrap for what they call "severe use" and we all know what that means (IOW 100 percent of us).
What does that say about their filtration capabilities?

I use plain paper with the silencer removed however I am looking at the new Amsoil Eaa filter because to me it makes sense.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

Understand, not ot offend anybody who uses Amsoil, but my impression of them is kind of like Amway stuff. IOW a lot of hype and loyal customers who buy into the schtick but products which are overpriced and average at best.

However this one looks like a decent product.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:00 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

What ever. You joined this board t complain about K&N filters. What is this a new type of spamming?[:@]
Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 AM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hanna Banger

I fail to understand the reasoning behind using an oiled filter like a K&N over a stock paper filter, or one of the washable microfiber filters like Amsoil offers.

K&N really seems to be a big thing in the Mustang community and I simply don't get it.
Do you guys realize that just about every test, from independent labs, has determined that K&N or any oiled filter for that matter, does nothing for your performance but yet has the ability to muck up your entire intake system?
I tried a K&N on both my 2006 Corvette and my GMC Suburban and in both cases, with the stock pre-oiledK&N my intake was a mess with gunk after a few thousand miles.
Others are reporting the same problems with contaminated MAF sensors and such.
Think about it, if you totally remove your air filter and do a run at the strip what kind of numbers do you get?
ANYTHING you put into the air system is only going to make that go downhill so why mess with some oily POS that could possibly destroy your engine?
Test after test has proven that K&N lets much larger particles through compared to plain paper filters.
So why do you want to sandblast your motor?
Is their any gain in HP over paper or washable microfiber?

So why the big K&N push in Mustang community?

The rest of the HP world has already discovered that K&N = Short motor life.
Why not the Mustang crowd?
Personally I wouldn't let one of those oily POS near any car I have.
But that's just my and many test labs opinion.

my dad put a K&N in his SRT-8 300C and he gained 2 tenths and 4MPH so they def do something
Old 03-25-2007, 01:09 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BraMas

What ever. You joined this board t complain about K&N filters. What is this a new type of spamming?[:@]
Hahaha!
Yea!

You haven't seen SPAMMING until you have visited some of the Linux boards.
Those folks are like the Moonies and Hari Krishnas that used to be all over the airports.

(Most of you are too young to remember that stuff, see the movie Airplane for info)

These Linux nuts have been born again with Linux instead of Windows.
Don't ask me, but they seem a bit strange.

Hanna isn't really spamming though because she doesn't say something like use this instead of that.

She does make some valid points IMHO.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:22 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

No Emu??
Old 03-25-2007, 01:24 AM
sprostang