4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

is there a way to LUBE THE TOB

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default is there a way to LUBE THE TOB

my clutch only has about 18k miles on it and my throw out bearing whines everynow and then! Is there any way to grease or suggestions.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:15 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Default RE: is there a way to LUBE THE TOB

More then likely it needs replaced if its making noise. Mine was replaced at 16k.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:18 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IWinULose

More then likely it needs replaced if its making noise. Mine was replaced at 16k.
tranny has to come out right?

if do that why not pay 200 and just put another clutch in
Old 03-25-2007, 11:32 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

I had mine replaced under warranty. =]
But yeah, I like your thinking. Replace the clutch while it's all tore apart.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:43 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

You can remove the inspection cover and spray white lithium grease on the TOB. This sometimes quiets them down if they're not too far gone. I've not had a problem with mine since getting a firewall adjuster/quadrant and learning the proper way to adjust the clutch.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:45 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayC

You can remove the inspection cover and spray white lithium grease on the TOB. This sometimes quiets them down if they're not too far gone. I've not had a problem with mine since getting a firewall adjuster/quadrant and learning the proper way to adjust the clutch.

that was my next Q i need to properly adjust becuase last time it started i adjusted my clutch but messing around under tranny sucks............

i might go to summit today and buy one.............and get some white lithium grease

thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 11:54 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99gtstang

that was my next Q i need to properly adjust becuase last time it started i adjusted my clutch but messing around under tranny sucks............

i might go to summit today and buy one.............and get some white lithium grease

thanks
Using a firewall adjuster there should be "zero" slack in the cable when pulled away (out from where it enters the firewall) from the adjuster. Just slowly screw the adjuster out until you feel all the slack being taken up then stop!
Old 03-25-2007, 01:29 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

thanks
Using a firewall adjuster there should be "zero" slack in the cable when pulled away (out from where it enters the firewall) from the adjuster. Just slowly screw the adjuster out until you feel all the slack being taken up then stop!
right now i have alot of slack it engages about 1inch from the floor. the guy who installed it said since everything was new from cable to clutch leave slack for when the pressure plate weakens and that way the clutch fork was not keeping pressure on the TOB. well it the pedal came up about 2 inches in a 1k miles so i loosened it some more..............and i started getting whinig about 5 k miles ago so i adjusted.... it quit then my pedal came up more so i loosened again now the whine is back.,
Old 03-25-2007, 02:41 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

thanks
right now i have alot of slack it engages about 1inch from the floor. the guy who installed it said since everything was new from cable to clutch leave slack for when the pressure plate weakens and that way the clutch fork was not keeping pressure on the TOB. well it the pedal came up about 2 inches in a 1k miles so i loosened it some more..............and i started getting whinig about 5 k miles ago so i adjusted.... it quit then my pedal came up more so i loosened again now the whine is back.,
Totally opposite of what you need. You want no slack in the cable and the engagement should be close to the top. This allows for the best clutch dis-engagement for fast and quiet shifting[8D]
Old 03-25-2007, 02:54 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

thanks
Totally opposite of what you need. You want no slack in the cable and the engagement should be close to the top. This allows for the best clutch dis-engagement for fast and quiet shifting[8D]

see i was told different by tranny shop which is what my company has been using for about 10 yrs................ he's old school but i will try that

Quick Reply: is there a way to LUBE THE TOB