4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust decreasing gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:25 PM
josh662234
3rd Gear Member

Default Exhaust decreasing gas mileage?

I just recently installed my exhaust and i have noticed a huge decrease in gas mileage. . . at the same time i increased the spark advace on my diablo tuner and i need to run 93. . . . after two tanks i figured i wasjust wasting gas romping on it to hear my exhaust. . . but i've been driving normal now and it is still horrible. . . anybody have any ideas? Or does it come with the mods?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:26 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust decreasing gas mileage?

hypothetically you should be getting better mpg now, only thing i can think of is an exhaust leak...maybe?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:29 PM
reelfast02cobra
I ♥ Acer

This guy's an idiot. Your gas mileage will go down.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:30 PM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

if anything, you should be getting better gas with the new exhaust. the new exhaust should be giving you better flow which makes the engine work less hard and burn less fuel. i would try to take the spark back to where it was before and see if the problem continues. that way you know if it's the exhaust or the spark that's decreasing your fuel economy
Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 PM
reelfast02cobra
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 06mustang88

if anything, you should be getting better gas with the new exhaust. the new exhaust should be giving you better flow which makes the engine work less hard and burn less fuel. i would try to take the spark back to where it was before and see if the problem continues. that way you know if it's the exhaust or the spark that's decreasing your fuel economy
This guy's also a retard. Jesus christ. How many noobs on this site?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

increase in power will decrease mileage in most cases not all its a ford thing they love their gas
Old 03-25-2007, 11:43 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: reelfast02cobra

Who the **** are you to come on this site and start calling everyone newbies and ****. Get the **** outta here troll.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:49 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

To the original poster, exhaust is supposed to give you better gas mileage. So it's not from the mods you just put on. I don't have any other ideas of what it might be though. If I remember correctly, I read something on here a while back saying if you have an exhaust leak, your CPU can read that as a lean condition and try to compensate by adding more fuel. So I'm thinking that this could be true, and could be what SVTBill is getting at. But I don't know how true this is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 03-25-2007, 11:57 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: reelfast02cobra

...umm... and you have room to speak?! Where's your proof??? I have proof that efficiency is in fact increased with tune, catback, and CAI... I drove from norfolk, VA to Upper Freehold, NJ which is a 310 mile hike... on a little over one tank of gas... I averaged my speed at about 70 mph.. but had a max of 110, when I was leaving the gas station on the turnpike, I filled back up at 1/4 tank at the first stop in NJ on the turnpike... and from there to home I used only a 1/4... so I used a total approximate of a whole tank...
Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 PM
josh662234
3rd Gear Member

well i had a fairly bad leak where the h pipe connects to the manifold on the driver's side. no matter how much i tightened it it still leaked horribly. . . so i caked on some high temp rtv silicone and i cant hear it anymore. . . we will have to see if that helps. . .

Quick Reply: Exhaust decreasing gas mileage?