4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tuner / CAI questions please enlighten me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:23 AM
skaarew
1st Gear Member

Default Tuner / CAI questions please enlighten me!

alright guys as you probably know i am new to this mustang modding. after having my 02 GT now for one week, I just completed the install today on my Magnaflow Magnapacks! Very happy with the sound, and really really happy my GT doesnt sound like a Hyundai Sonata anymore

So now I want a CAI (looking at AEM brute force/dryflow kit) and a diablo tuner.

I have a few questions....
1. CAI do not cause any issues w.r.t. CELs, etc on the mustangs do they?
2. Is the canned tune that comes on the diablo any good? Would this tune work well with just a CAI and a catback exhaust?Would like to run 93 octane.

I am coming from a world (superchips on my truck) that only has a canned tune, no custom tuning available. I keep reading about how the diablo can be tuned this way and that way......do you guys email tunes to each other....what are good settings for just a CAI and catback?

Sorry for all the questions.....just trying to learn here!
Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 AM
skaarew
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tuner / CAI questions please enlighten me!

edit
Old 03-26-2007, 03:52 AM
lVlustang
3rd Gear Member

CEL will "NOT" turn on if you put a CAI on. I would go to your local tuning shop, because some of them only use a certain tuner. Like the one by my house uses Predator chips.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:53 AM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

The canned tune is ok, but the predator itself offers so much tweakability. and as far as a CAI make shure it pulls from the fenderwell like factory. (the motor prefers cooler air)

Old 03-26-2007, 05:01 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

+1 on checking the local shops. You will want to buy the product local shops can tune, otherwise you will more likely than not end up buying another handheld/chip in the future.

Your CAI will not effect the CEL. So far as the tune goes, you can try a generic tune and see if it will work. My old mail order tune from diablo (boltons only car) was junk, was making the a/f ratio more rich than it should have been, I acutually made more power on the stock tune!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:21 AM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

CAI is a +1, Handheld tuner -1.. The ford dealership had to fix my fuel pump because the tuner made it constantly run and ran 700. for the replacement installed.. If you can afford to put the CAI on and get a custom tune from a local shop that can dyno it. That would be your best bet..
Old 03-26-2007, 11:58 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

definitely get a tune. My car was all over the map as far as power was going. I'll try to post tonight my dyno graph before and after. Once tuned by a dyno shop it was a much better curve.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:49 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skaarew

alright guys as you probably know i am new to this mustang modding. after having my 02 GT now for one week, I just completed the install today on my Magnaflow Magnapacks! Very happy with the sound, and really really happy my GT doesnt sound like a Hyundai Sonata anymore

So now I want a CAI (looking at AEM brute force/dryflow kit) and a diablo tuner.

I have a few questions....
1. CAI do not cause any issues w.r.t. CELs, etc on the mustangs do they?
2. Is the canned tune that comes on the diablo any good? Would this tune work well with just a CAI and a catback exhaust?Would like to run 93 octane.

I am coming from a world (superchips on my truck) that only has a canned tune, no custom tuning available. I keep reading about how the diablo can be tuned this way and that way......do you guys email tunes to each other....what are good settings for just a CAI and catback?

Sorry for all the questions.....just trying to learn here!
1. An Intake wont cause you CEL to come on, so you're fine there. I recommend JLT over AEM, or any other brand for that matter. You will see the most performance gains from a JLT.

2. The canned tuned in the predator isn't any good. The canned Predator tune will work with your intake, but you're not going to have any significant power gains. You're better off getting a few more mods then getting tuned on a dyno, or atleast a decent mail order tune customized for your mods.

We don't email tunes to each other. Every car is different. That's what mail order tuners do. You work back and forth with them through email until your cars tune is accurate. So an intake and tuner are two goods next mods for you. But I'd go with the JLT over the AEM. And as far as the canned tune, personally, I wouldn't use it. But I won't advise you not to. You could try it out on your car and see how you like it.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:56 PM
skaarew
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys for the responses! Theses mustangs have some much tuneability , and i just dont want to screw it up this early on in the game!

Joeybutts...looking forward to that dyno graph!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:21 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Here you go! This is a dyno of my car with everything in my sig except the catback, before and after. Everything was on my car for the before and after except the catback. Just want to make sure it is clear! Notice how rough and all over the place the power band is. Terrible. They didn't have enough time to clean up the one spot in the beginning since i am an out of towner. I have to run premium and my traction control is always off. also my speedo is adjusted for the 3.73's. Let me know if there are any other questions!

[IMG]local://upfiles/41701/3146D4FB235E475B8D96FF264FB57C35.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Tuner / CAI questions please enlighten me!