4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

is superchargin just a setup to blow your bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:28 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: is superchargin just a setup to blow your bottom end

Where did you get your shortblock for 2800? All the good ones I have been shopping around and seeing are around 3500 bucks

Replacing the crank would be pointless with stock rods/pistons. The crank will take more than the rods/pistons will. I have never heard of or seen a crank failure on a stock shortblock setup that didn't break a rod first (and cause the crank to fail).
Old 03-29-2007, 04:47 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

As stated above the crank is not a major problem, it the rods and pistons. You don't need to machine your block, just by a new one as their only about 300 bucks and machining yours will be about the same. If you can install the crank you should be able to do the rod and piston assemblies, also putting in a Cobra crank means more machine work if you have a Romeo block, good luck.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:54 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Where did you get your shortblock for 2800? All the good ones I have been shopping around and seeing are around 3500 bucks
it says MMR in his sig, damn bro your slipping [&:]
Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FDNYBullitt

As stated above the crank is not a major problem, it the rods and pistons. You don't need to machine your block, just by a new one as their only about 300 bucks and machining yours will be about the same. If you can install the crank you should be able to do the rod and piston assemblies, also putting in a Cobra crank means more machine work if you have a Romeo block, good luck.
+1
I also think you should definatley bite the bullet and do it all now! It is out of the car now... in 6 months when it throws a rod it wont be out of the car! In the long run if it DOES throw a rod you will be money and time ahead doin it now! Not to mention the added peice of mind knowing everything is taken care of! If you are unsure of the install.... mabey you know someone to help you?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

More and more people seem to be going with MMR. I've been looking into the MMR 600 myself. They are very reasonable on their shortblocks, and ive never heard of any complaints.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:38 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

If you plan on upgrading your bottom end, do yourself a favor and don't waste your time on the stock cast crank! Do it right the first time with the right parts. We do not even offer a rotating kit with forged rods and pistons with a stock crank.A little infoon the forged cranks....Both the stock stroke and stroker cranks are an8 bolt crank. They will drop in any 4.6 block 99 and up. The early blocks do need some material ground off in the center main webbing area.

Casey
HaneyMotorsport
Old 03-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Sorry to *****, but check out Sean Hylands book :

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Performa...04&sr=8-14

I'm reading through it and it gives great information on each part that goes into an engine build up and what their strengths and weaknesses are. If your going to build your bottom end you will need a new Crank (Forged Cobra Crank usually) and new Connecting Rods and Pistons. Since the block is good to 1000+ hp, these are the parts that generally fail and should be upgraded. This is the point where you can alter your compression ratio by buying pistons with larger dish sizes and/or thicker headgaskets.

I've seen ebay kits for like 1300$, but I dont know if that includes new hardware (bolts, studs, etc.) or not. So if you figure the machine work you would need to do to your stock block (remove extra webbing, debur, clean, etc.) and the install cost of the above, going with a built shortblock is a much easier alternative.

E.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Keeping it safe:
Tune, cooling (intercooler, meth/water) and not beating the sh*t out of it constantly!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:28 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I bought my kit for $1500 shipped. Fully forged crank rods and pistons. Do it right the first time.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:08 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

More and more people seem to be going with MMR. I've been looking into the MMR 600 myself. They are very reasonable on their shortblocks, and ive never heard of any complaints.
My next step (forged) will be a block from those guys! Good prices and good product. Have talked to them by phone and e-mail!

Quick Reply: is superchargin just a setup to blow your bottom end