4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

exhaust and air scoop questions...

Old 03-30-2007, 02:47 AM
agentsmith666

Default exhaust and air scoop questions...

I recently bought a '03 Mustang GT (stock exhaust) and was asked by the dealer to bring it back for smog. I really like the sound and it was loud but I got a call from the dealer saying it failed smog because it did not have a catalytic converter, apparantly the previously owner who sold it to the dealer replaced it with a "straight pipe" or something. Anyways the dealer said he has to put on a catalytic converter in order to pass smog. Since the dealer was paying for everything and I had no choice if I wanted the car I agreed and just got back the car. Its really quiet now and it seems like it has less power... I'm really not happy so I called my local exhaust place and ask them to take it out but they said that's illegal. So what do you guys do? Is it possible to run a pipe parallel to the catalytic converter pipe and use a valve to switch back and forth? I'm planning on getting magnaflow #15671 exhaust, any thoughts?

I also noticed that the scoop is fake... really lame. Then later on that day I saw a mach 1 that had a real scoop or at least it looked more real, anyways can I get a real scoop for this car? Any links? Thanks in advance for all your help.

- jordan
Concord, California
Old 03-30-2007, 03:32 AM
stangintheblue
1st Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust and air scoop questions...

Im lucky, here in New Mexico we dont have those tests...o/r mid pipe for me. And yes you can buy the mach 1 scoop. Its called a shaker and will run around $800 i think. Really adds no power so its pretty much a really expensive visual mod.

Dustin
Old 03-30-2007, 03:44 AM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

you can get an aftermarket catted midpipe (H or X) ull only be loosing 1-2 hp. they cost a little more but they are legal.

hey Dustin what part of NM are u from

edit i have the shaker system is basically an $800 CAI but it looks cool and it shakes w/ the motor when i rev it
Old 03-30-2007, 03:54 AM
stangintheblue
1st Gear Member

Southern. Alamogordo/Holloman. What about you?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 AM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

Albuquerque
Old 03-30-2007, 03:59 AM
stangintheblue
1st Gear Member

Thats not too far...ive only been there once. Much better up there than it is down here lol
Old 03-30-2007, 04:07 AM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

What some of us do to pass, is switch out the midpipe when its time for emissions.. or if you can clear any of the engines trouble codes with a tuner like a SCT xcalII or Diablosport Predator and then you may pass, I know that her in AZ they dont run 96+ cars on the rollers they just plug them into the OBDII port and run diagnostics.

I have an "offroad exhaust" that is "illiegal" but i have not dealt with the emissions situation yet...
Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: agentsmith666

I recently bought a '03 Mustang GT (stock exhaust) and was asked by the dealer to bring it back for smog. I really like the sound and it was loud but I got a call from the dealer saying it failed smog because it did not have a catalytic converter, apparantly the previously owner who sold it to the dealer replaced it with a "straight pipe" or something. Anyways the dealer said he has to put on a catalytic converter in order to pass smog. Since the dealer was paying for everything and I had no choice if I wanted the car I agreed and just got back the car. Its really quiet now and it seems like it has less power... I'm really not happy so I called my local exhaust place and ask them to take it out but they said that's illegal. So what do you guys do? Is it possible to run a pipe parallel to the catalytic converter pipe and use a valve to switch back and forth? I'm planning on getting magnaflow #15671 exhaust, any thoughts?

I also noticed that the scoop is fake... really lame. Then later on that day I saw a mach 1 that had a real scoop or at least it looked more real, anyways can I get a real scoop for this car? Any links? Thanks in advance for all your help.

- jordan
Concord, California
Ok, you are in the Bay Area, which means super strict **** smog laws. About the only thing you can do to is buy either a catted or O/R X or H pipe, and switch it out with the stocker to pass the visual/sniffer tests. Or find a smog shop that trades passing you for a few hundos.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:17 PM
agentsmith666

Thanks for the responses, I'll check out the O/R/ X and H pipe... $800 for the scoop, suckie

Old 03-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I live in te bay area too, i'll be swapping my stock h pipe in if i need to when smog time comes for my 03. I have slp catted x with lmII's and the high perf cats don't really catch much heh, so most of the time its like running a straight pipe without the loudness to it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust and air scoop questions...