4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ripped torque boxes

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:30 PM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

Default Ripped torque boxes

Is a ripped torque box a common problem on your cars? I've never heard anyone talk about it, but it's happened twice on my 02 gt. And it only occurs near the upper control arms. I've welded them once already, but the keep tearing in some bogus *** places.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:32 PM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ripped torque boxes

that happend to me in my 99 v6. when it ripped it snapped my brake line very scary almost wrecked![&:]
Old 03-30-2007, 12:37 PM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

i noticed it when the rear of my car would move sideways about an inch or so when I let out on the clutch. I found that the spot welds had come loose, so i welded it all the way around on the upper part. I saw the tear last night, so i'm gonna fix the tear and then weld up the lowers too. I really don't beat the hell out of the car and it's not that powerful (low 13's), so this **** is beyond me.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

I have seen it happen as well, thats why they make the kits I guess. ****ty non the less
Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

It never hurts just to weld the upper and lower torque boxes. I had both of mine welded up just because.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ripped torque boxes is a result of aftermarket uca's... they are alot stiffer than the stock ones and do not stretch as much, so they tend to either rip from the chassis or the axle, most of the times its the torque box. However I wouldnt have thought this'd happen to your car, since you drag race the car unless your capable of making your rear squat alot off the line.
best fix for this situation is, getting rid of te uca's and going with a torque arm/phb, tri link, stock uca's or uca's with less stiff bushings.

there are several other threads where I've posted on uca's and some other guys have chimed in with information that is actually fact based, not the "it feels better" or most aftermarket companies sell them approach.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:41 PM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

It's got the stock UCA's in it, as well as the stock lowers. H&R Super Race springs don't let it squat that much, so i don't have a clue what's causing it. I just want to fix it and not have to worry about it any more.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:50 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

ripped torque boxes is a result of aftermarket uca's... they are alot stiffer than the stock ones and do not stretch as much, so they tend to either rip from the chassis or the axle, most of the times its the torque box. However I wouldnt have thought this'd happen to your car, since you drag race the car unless your capable of making your rear squat alot off the line.
best fix for this situation is, getting rid of te uca's and going with a torque arm/phb, tri link, stock uca's or uca's with less stiff bushings.

there are several other threads where I've posted on uca's and some other guys have chimed in with information that is actually fact based, not the "it feels better" or most aftermarket companies sell them approach.
Yep, upper control arms rip your torque boxes out, don't do anything for racing whatsoever, and make the car crash into walls

Old 03-30-2007, 07:37 PM
SN95FoxII
2nd Gear Member

thats why they make battle boxes
Old 03-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Aereon

Yep, upper control arms rip your torque boxes out, don't do anything for racing whatsoever, and make the car crash into walls

nice internet sarcasm, please study the physics of the rear axle geomtry in sn95's or read up on them.

Sorry for assuming code, someone stated in one of the threads that you have aftermarket ones. If they are stock and your torque boxes are still being ripped, I'm gonna hafta find the link when I get home, but there are reinforcements that can be welded on. Best advice I can give is to call up maximum motorsports and ask them what they believe the best solution is. Those guys really know their stuff, and even if your not ordering they have the patience to explain things to ya.

Quick Reply: Ripped torque boxes