4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Modification hell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:45 AM
skaarew
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Modification hell?

ouch another stab at the hemi! it's all good.....

i really think my plans for the GT will consist of a full exhaust (LTs/ H-pipe / already have the catback) and probably 3.73 gears.

i picked up my GT 2 weeks ago for an outstanding deal, and bought it to be my primary daily driver, hell of a lot better on gas than my truck (4.56 gearing)..... and the GT is a blast to drive. i have been having a lot of fun with it, but if i can get 270 rwhp out of her with bolt ons.....i might just keep it at that......it's expensive trying to mod 2 vehicles
Old 04-01-2007, 02:51 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I can understand that!!! modding 1 vehicle is expensive enough. If your truck is your go fast car, i'd just stick to exhaust and leave it at that, because it just sounds ooo so good... lol

You could also invest in exhaust, gears, tune and a small 75 shot of nitrous. Keep it formidable, and leave it alone at that.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:54 AM
sams03gt
1st Gear Member

whats a good set up headers back?, also would you guys suggest Stage 2 heads and wet nitrous with an upgraded fuel system? thats what i've seen putting out some good numbers with juice or without juice, i am like the guy who started this thread, i want to know whats the best, and i would love to throw an EATON on my car but i thought superchargers lowered the life of the motor after you blow it. Any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:55 AM
skaarew
1st Gear Member

sounds good to me......so if i was to get the LTs and midpipe, is a tune a MUST to take advantage of it? or does the comp think it's way thru and try to compensate for the extra flow?

Old 04-01-2007, 03:01 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

you don't need it tuned for longtubes normally, I had to because my a/f was really off the wall. but most people don't.

putting a blower on the car is the same as doing any modificaiton on any car. Your car will live as long as you take great care of it. If you do a blower setup right, and tune it well - you will have no issues...

As far as installing longtubes, i am one of the people that think that they'renot a good buy unless you plan on really modding your car, or if you do all the work yourself. The install on headers, makes the installer basically lift the motor. I got what was considered a good deal when I had mine installed on my gt at $400.00, everyone else was quoting me 5-600 + cost of headers!! The stock manifolds flow really well for what they are.. with full header + midpipe + catback you're looking at approx 15rwhp/25lb ft tor. - and you're looking at 400+ for the headers (depending on which brand) 100+ for midpipe and 200+ for catback plus the install of all of em. I don't think they're worth it unless you plan on camming and blowing your car, or if you get good deals on the parts - and installing them yourself. For the $$ you're better off with Nitrous+Tune+Midpipe/catback+gears... Unless you're against nitrous, which in that case there are other options.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:10 AM
skaarew
1st Gear Member

very helpful info thanks!
Old 04-01-2007, 03:14 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Isn't this your second post about this very topic?
Old 04-01-2007, 04:06 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: JD1969

The main problem is the heads on the 2V cars, they don't flow well at all and noone is making aftermarket ones worth a damn. This is why the 2V cars like blowers, it helps make up for the poor flowing heads.
i think my patriot stage 3s get the job done pretty well.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tsmith63020

Just reading around, checking out all your mods, and your opinions on them.

I keep reading that the GT's don't take to mods well. Is this true? If you caught my "what would you do" thread about me wanting to make my car all it can be what do I need to look out for? What mods are the touchiest, and what can I do to ensure an easy transition?

Thank's!

Amanda
People say they don't respond well to boltons because they want a 281 CI engine (in the base model V8 no less) to respond to boltons like the LS1 engine does.. and its simply isn't gonna happen.

IMO boltons are well worth it if you cannot afford to go FI and just want a faster DD/fun car. Going from 225 WHP to 265 WHP IMO is a pretty good jump... 40 WHP is what, a 17 percent increase?

Put it this way, you can easily cut about a full second off your 1/4 mile time with simple boltons (exhaust, intake, gears, tires) and a good driver. It might not be the 340+ WHP the LS1 sees, but its pretty good for a little 281 IMO.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:28 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: nanaki

ORIGINAL: JD1969

The main problem is the heads on the 2V cars, they don't flow well at all and noone is making aftermarket ones worth a damn. This is why the 2V cars like blowers, it helps make up for the poor flowing heads.
i think my patriot stage 3s get the job done pretty well.
You have a blower though. I look at like this. The old 289 Fords did pretty well for not having a ton of cubes, why? Because there a decent head options out there. Even the stage 3 2V heads will not flow as well as well as many off the shelf offerings. It's nothing that a simple blower can't fixFord has always had smaller cube engines for the most part and done pretty well with them. IMO the 2V could have been a great engine if they had not made so manycompromises with whole modular idea, the bean counters win again.

Quick Reply: Modification hell?