4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Guage install questions??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:33 AM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default Guage install questions??

What exactly do I connect the dimming switch to?? How can I install the ground wire other than drilling a hole or sautering the wire? I wish I never started these things.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:43 AM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Guage install questions??

I have thought of another question, if I don't want to change the color of my gauges could Inot use the dimmer switch and the power box and just use the stock light for the gauges. The reason I ask is cause I really just care about the white face during the daylight.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Are you doing Gauge overlays or adding more gauges.

To get power you can dim with your **** just tap the blue wire. Before you tap into it, use a voltmeter to make sure its the correct wire. You should have 0V when the lights are off and 11.xx volts when they are on.

E.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:32 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

I attached my colorswitch/dimmerknob beneath the steering wheel to the left, kinda next to the hood popper. I didn't drill a new hole or anything into it, but there is a screw for something else down there (I forgot what it is), but its held on there very secure by that one screw, its basically sharing one screw. Just unscrew that screw down there and rescrew it with the switch on there. Its a nice spot for it too. Maybe I can get some pictures. Look underneath there though.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:53 AM
Jexey
2nd Gear Member

When I hooked up my 5in' tach I pulled my radio and hooked it up to the dimmerthere - worked out well.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:30 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Thanks HANDYANDY, that was a great place for the dimmer switch. I fits in there nicely and doesn't look too shabby. Now I am about to wire in my positive wire for my gauges but I am not sure which one it is that I am supposed to be wirering into. On americanmuscle it says the large gray one in the middle of the headlight control wires. Now in the middle of mine there is a brownish one and then a Gray and orange swirl wire on the top back part of those control wires. Alls I am looking for is that positive wire so I can tap the other wire in there,if someone could tell me I would appriciate it. Also how do I tap the wire in there? Is there a way to pull the wire out or can I just shove the new positive wire in there with it?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i just dropped my analog switch through the stearing column and it hangs there where the plastic moding stops above my shins, or i can tuck it over the plastic piece.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:43 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

yeah I already figured out where to mount my switchbut now I just need a ground spot and i need to find the positive wire in my headlight contol wire panelto tap my gauge positive wire into.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:54 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

does anyone know where the positive wire is located??
Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Okay I hooked the wire up to what I think is the positive wire in the headlight control wires and I turned everything on and I am not getting any glow. I don't know what is going on. How can I get my gauges to glow? ANYONE!! I really need your guyses help

Quick Reply: Guage install questions??