4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Twin turbo non pi track vid.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Twin turbo non pi track vid.

ORIGINAL: 96 myztic

you figure with a better 60 ft (1.7ish) hes still gonna barely be scrapin the mid-high 12s, seems a bit low for a 400+hp car (guessing by the trap speed.) Maybe step up the gearing to a 3.73 or higher(dont know what is best for keeping turbos spooled) and id think the ET would drop considerably considering how hard it likes to pull when it starts to spool on the top end.

I think a 4.10 would be too high as it might not be enough to carry you across the trap with the kinda hp/speed you are carrying already.
Also the sticky tires would help immensely as you could brake boost it and really help those 60s when you can put the extra hp to the ground.
My lowest trap speed was 112mph & I still ran a 12.8 with a 2.1 60 foot... With traction that 112 would have been good for a miw low 12...

All you need is about a 105mph trap with a 1.8 60' in a 96-04 to run near a flat 13 or very high 12 with a good driver.

From what I saw in the video, he's just waiting for the car to bog coming off the line to catch traction & then roll back into the throttle. If he went with a taller drag radial/slick, he could benefit more from a 4.10 than a 3.73...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:20 PM
96 myztic
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

ORIGINAL: 96 myztic

you figure with a better 60 ft (1.7ish) hes still gonna barely be scrapin the mid-high 12s, seems a bit low for a 400+hp car (guessing by the trap speed.) Maybe step up the gearing to a 3.73 or higher(dont know what is best for keeping turbos spooled) and id think the ET would drop considerably considering how hard it likes to pull when it starts to spool on the top end.

I think a 4.10 would be too high as it might not be enough to carry you across the trap with the kinda hp/speed you are carrying already.
Also the sticky tires would help immensely as you could brake boost it and really help those 60s when you can put the extra hp to the ground.
My lowest trap speed was 112mph & I still ran a 12.8 with a 2.1 60 foot... With traction that 112 would have been good for a miw low 12...

All you need is about a 105mph trap with a 1.8 60' in a 96-04 to run near a flat 13 or very high 12 with a good driver.

From what I saw in the video, he's just waiting for the car to bog coming off the line to catch traction & then roll back into the throttle. If he went with a taller drag radial/slick, he could benefit more from a 4.10 than a 3.73...
yea i noticed the bog, but can be expected with the 3.27s and the tires grabbing after spinning outta the hole. I agree if he went to a high wall DRs, 4.10s would be a must, especially if he is gonna keep it just hovering around 400hp since he can just trap at the top of 4th. But if hes gonna up the boost and start to trap higher Id be afraid of running outta gear and having to do the dreaded shift into 5th and have the car fall on its face.

I think his low times werent just from the low 60s, because even with a 2.0 or 2.1 he should still be hovering around 13.0, rather i think it was because of that off the line bog and having to build back up the power as the turbos spooled at the top of 3rd and 4th. Losing that off the line momentum after the 1-2 shift because of the big rpm drop due to bogis killing the ET.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The bog off the line is definitely hurting him, but it also looked like his shifts weren't crisp at all. Takes some practice I guess. It's tough driving a 400+rwhp on street tires at the track.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:25 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

thats pretty sick..good stuff man.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:48 PM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RipTide7

Cool vid. What kind of tires/suspension work you got done?
Bone stock suspension with cracked and worn bushings. Nitto tires all around.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

I'm impressed, even if the car isn't up to its full potential I'm a big fan of home engineered turbo setups that make their way to the track. I'm sure as others mentioned with stickier tires and some suspension work I'm seeing low 12's.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
yoteehunter
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

How much rwhp?
405rwhp 427ftlbs.

I posted a sheet on a thread a while back that sheet was from the third to the last run. Anyways please feel free to through all the ideas you can at me about what to do for launching. I like the idea of taller slicks and stiffer gears, I just have to not go to steep because the turbos like to spool under load and gears will take away from that a bit. Maybe like 3.55 or with same size tire just shorter rim like welds or soomthing. My dad is reading up on suspension, he will be helping me sort that out since I somehow neglected it while I was building the turbo system.....lol $$$$$
Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM
96 myztic
2nd Gear Member

i would say 3.73 at least if you are doing a gear change with the same tires you got now, but you also have to remember that if you get big wall slicks, it will lower your effective gear ratio, bringing a 4.10 down to that of a 3.73 or there abouts.

Getting a nice set of lower control arms with a soft supsension to really get some weight transfer is gonna see those 60 fts plummet in combination with some slicks. Each tenth dropped in the 60' equates to 2 tenths on the ET, so the launch is very important.

What kind of RPM are you launching at and what rpm are you crossing the traps at, that would aid in the gear selection a whole lot. Is there any efficient way to brake boost, like heal-toe the gas/brake and ride the cluth to try and build some boost off the line?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Tellowman24
2nd Gear Member

you should put a kit together and sell it, if u did it for 2k, id be willing to bet lots of people would but it for 3k
Old 04-03-2007, 05:59 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

How about not sleeping at the line?? [8D]

The best thing, especially when you're traction limited, is to jump at the last yellow light.. I know, I know, it's been said before, but that's a sure way of making sure your tires are planted by the green.. On top of that, when you get better tires, you can start launching at a much higher RPM..

What kind of ignition do you have??

JT

Quick Reply: Twin turbo non pi track vid.