4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installation Question..

Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Default Installation Question..

Ok so I read the "How To" article on this, and I have the instructions that came with the products in front of me but....

How hard is it to install a 75mm throttle body and plenum? I havent really done anything to my car myself (aside from installing the JLT RAI...whoopdie doo). I have some tools, not a huge collection, but a fair amount I guess. I'm just sick of looking at this throttle body and plenum sitting in my room, and I want to put it on.

So on a scale, 1-10, how tough is this really?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Installation Question..

Its very easy. [sm=trust_me.gif]
Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

I hope youre right because Im thinking about giving it a shot. About how long should it take to put it all together?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's a 3...[/align][/align]Nothing particularly tricky except the screws for the TPS--use a very good phillips screwdriver, or better yet a cordless drill/driver as an impact driver by setting it to very near it's maximum torque setting,[/align][/align]Also, disconnect the battery so that the PCM will adjust the idle speed when you start the engine.[/align][/align]And, in the last, why a 75 mm TB? on most any plenum (except the C&L apparently) a 70 flows as much or more than a 75--and if you ever go FI the 75 will be too big. Here's a linkto Accufab's flow data, about 1/2 way down the page you'll see the plenum/TB flow results.[/align]
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

It's a 3...[/align][/align]Nothing particularly tricky except the screws for the TPS--use a very good phillips screwdriver, or better yet a cordless drill/driver as an impact driver by setting it to very near it's maximum torque setting,[/align][/align]Also, disconnect the battery so that the PCM will adjust the idle speed when you start the engine.[/align][/align]And, in the last, why a 75 mm TB? on most any plenum (except the C&L apparently) a 70 flows as much or more than a 75--and if you ever go FI the 75 will be too big. Here's a linkto Accufab's flow data, about 1/2 way down the page you'll see the plenum/TB flow results.[/align]
Pretty much because I got a great deal on a barely used BBK 75mm throttle body and brand new plenum from a member on here. Couldnt really pass it up.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:43 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GThopeful

I hope youre right because Im thinking about giving it a shot. About how long should it take to put it all together?
Take a picture of the top of the engine before you take anything apart. This will help incase you get a little confused.You shouldn`t though. (just a suggestion) [sm=goodidea.gif]
Old 04-03-2007, 11:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Pretty much because I got a great deal on a barely used BBK 75mm throttle body and brand new plenum from a member on here. Couldnt really pass it up.

Thanks for the tips.
[/align][/align]Then you are 110% on target--a 75 won't hurt anything and if the price is right then go for it![/align][/align]The photo idea is a good one, I've got the Pro Products instruction sheets which aren't half bad--PM me and I can scan 'em and send them to you...[/align][/align]
Old 04-03-2007, 11:10 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Thanks for the tips.
[/align][/align]Then you are 110% on target--a 75 won't hurt anything and if the price is right then go for it![/align][/align]The photo idea is a good one, I've got the Pro Products instruction sheets which aren't half bad--PM me and I can scan 'em and send them to you...[/align][/align]
Thanks but it looks like I wont be needing it for a few more days [:@]. I was taking **** apart and everything was going good until.....

I got to the IAC (I think). Whatever it is its right on the side of the plenum w/ 2 bolts holding it on. Anyways upon closer inspection, 1 of the bots is broken off down inside the hole. The bolt was on there when I bought the car, and I'm pretty sure I have an idea of how it got broken. I had my car at the stealership to get some routine maintenance done, and I'm thinking that it happened there, if that is in fact the IAC.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:14 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

IAC...

Old 04-03-2007, 11:18 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

IAC...

Yup....that top bolt on mine is broken............damnit