4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

hwo much hp can you run with a 3.8?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: hwo much hp can you run with a 3.8?

ORIGINAL: Fizzics Boy

Tell him to run 15 PSI, then get a lawnchair and a beer for the show. Make sure you bring an umbrella in case it starts raining pistons
http://www.v6power.net/images/justin/v2/109.wmv

oh sorry, that was 17

ORIGINAL: Davojan59

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT

Actually the 3.8 v6 motor in the Mustangs can handle more power than the 2v's can.
they have the same strength block and same pistons/rods...so i dont think they can handle any more than a gt. My buddy's sixer blew up after a couple months of spraying 100 shot.
the 3.8 blocks are loosly copyed from the buick 231 GN motor, but its an on center block, so its a bit stronger then buicks off center block, the rods are the same size as the 351 rods, the pistons are the weakest part of the motor, you buddy must of had a crappy tune or a dry shot

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6
ORIGINAL: Davojan59
Actually the 3.8 v6 motor in the Mustangs can handle more power than the 2v's can.
they have the same strength block and same pistons/rods...so i dont think they can handle any more than a gt. My buddy's sixer blew up after a couple months of spraying 100 shot.
If you have a v6 with 190hp to the crank and add a turbo at 10psi to get 370-380hp on stock internals and then take a GT with 260hp to the crank and add a turbo at 10psi to get 400+hp on stock internals, I'm pretty sure the GT wont last as long. And the v6 gained almost 100% more power than stock compared to the GT's 50% more power than stock.
if you think your just gonna take a V6, add a set of TTs and make 370HP your crazy. check out my "chance to buy a car" thread in the V6 part of this forum..
Its hard to make even 300 WHP on a stock V6 engine (heads/cams etc). A GT will get there easier and cheaper every time with less money invested.
Hell, 380 WHP? Forget twin turbos, all you need is a 10 PSI SQ kit and a few boltons.
If anyone is arguing that they shouldn't make V6 mustangs... they are stupid. The V6/GT/Mach1(etc)/cobra setup (with ramping up performance) is what has kept the mustang alive and killed the camaro.
nless you want to pay vette price for a mustang, you better prase the V6. I surely would not choose it as my first option for performance, but its still a mustang, and right from the beginning it kept em alive.
the one you were looking at had a stock motor (we assumed as there was no other info) and a procharger, and was single port, 14 psi for a turbo kit is safe vs 11 onintercooled blower, plus less loss a split port with a twin turbo kit (and upgraded fuel system of course) will put down about 400 rwhp, a split port with a procharger will plut down an average of 300+rwhp, and the number i threw out there was what one of the members on here made and ran 14 lb injectors with a 100% stock motor and no tune, so basically, no intercooled kit will dyno lower then that

ORIGINAL: Aereon

http://www.v6power.net/portal/timeslips/power.php

there you guys go quickest sixers on record online...

this is the sig of the fastest sixer I know of
The First and Only 9sec production based V6 Stang!!
First to make 500rwhp
first and only over 600rwhp.

638rwhp and 648rwtq on 30psi and race gas.
9.85@138.65mph 1/4mile
6.32@112mph 1/8th
1.44 60ft
550rwhp and 503rwtq(24psi new set-up 93 octane)
thats matt neutharts car, its a white 95 with a C4, he is running the stock block and crank with a single turbo and ported heads that will make any PORTED5.0/4.6 heads look like boat anchors, i have the flow numbers at home if anyone is interested, all in all, it was in at less then ten grand i beleive
Old 04-05-2007, 03:00 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1fast 99gt

i dont know why he wont take my word for it and drop a cobra motor in it that way he is paying for a v6 and is driving a corba almost. I would never put money inot a v6 the sound like **** and its just as bad as a rice buner.
cause if he put a cobra motor in there he would have to pay insurance on the V8, otherwise if he wrecked his car and didn't tell his insurance they would not have to cover him...and seriously you think a V6 is as bad as a rice burner get a life. it's a mustang that a lot more people can afford. i wanted a new mustang and i wanted one I could afford insurance and payment, so i got the V6, it's not as fast as the V8, it doesn't sounds as good, but it is still a mustang. you know a lot of camaro/firebird guys could say why get a mustang we make 60 more hp stock and our engine responds well to mods, geez why waste the money on a little old 4.6 L. to me it makes no sense to trash a car that is the same model as yours with a smaller engine...just my opinion.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:37 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserred02

i dont know why he wont take my word for it and drop a cobra motor in it that way he is paying for a v6 and is driving a corba almost. I would never put money inot a v6 the sound like **** and its just as bad as a rice buner.
cause if he put a cobra motor in there he would have to pay insurance on the V8, otherwise if he wrecked his car and didn't tell his insurance they would not have to cover him...and seriously you think a V6 is as bad as a rice burner get a life. it's a mustang that a lot more people can afford. i wanted a new mustang and i wanted one I could afford insurance and payment, so i got the V6, it's not as fast as the V8, it doesn't sounds as good, but it is still a mustang. you know a lot of camaro/firebird guys could say why get a mustang we make 60 more hp stock and our engine responds well to mods, geez why waste the money on a little old 4.6 L. to me it makes no sense to trash a car that is the same model as yours with a smaller engine...just my opinion.
x2^infinite power
Old 04-06-2007, 03:00 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

WTF is a 6 cyl mustang? It probably looks something like this....

I say twin turbo the **** outta one pipe, and double s/c it. That oughtta get his wheels spinnin.... [8D]
That's a good one!
Old 04-06-2007, 03:14 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserred02

Sounds about right. [sm=guilty.gif]