4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Twin Superchargers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Twin Superchargers...

yup i saw that corvette on here too. twin superchargers generating about 1200 rwhp i believe. unless you plan on going that fast...which no offense but i doubt you do...it would be ineffective and a waste of money.

on the other hand...it would look cool when you popped the hood lol
Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 AM
V1PWRED
1st Gear Member

check out nelson racing engines.com, they have a twin eaton supercharged 03 avalanche.couple good videos of it on their website, its sick as are all their motors
Old 04-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

carroll shelby had twin paxtons on his personal cobra
Old 04-05-2007, 12:40 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Two s/c wouldn't be efficent infact quite the opposite. IMO it's not a very good idea. It would take so much power to run them both that in the end it wouldn't be worth it. The reason that 2 turbos are more efficent then 1 is because running 2 smaller turbos will cause less turbo lag. It doesn't take any power to run a turbo like it does it does a s/c that is why you can run more then 1 turbo.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

The only reason you hear about twin turbos is because of the exhaust. Easier to just have two turbos usually on a v8 than linking everything up and havinga huge turbo and trying to fit it somewhere.

You'll never hear of twin turbo's on a 4 cyl car.

Like everyone else said, twin superchargers is a terrible idea.If I put one on my car i'd just lose power.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:01 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

the whole theory is that a turbocharger will give you more boost= more power, but until it spools up youll have turbolag. the supercharger, complemented by the turbo, is supposed to give you boost until you hit higher rpms. but nowadays, the turbos they have designed have basically eliminated turbo lag. turbos create more heat (using exhaust flow) and superchargers run off of a belt (costs you horsepower). so either one would be good.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

You'll never hear of twin turbo's on a 4 cyl car.
That's mostly due to the fact that you can't generate enough exhaust pulse/strength to power 2 turbos.. Even if you did, they'd have to be REAL small, and it'd just be easy, cheaper and more effective to use one big one... That's why some of the fast 4cyl guys use a little shot of N2O to pre-spool the turbo...

JT
Old 04-05-2007, 04:34 PM
99mustanggtdude

what about the FR500 Dual Intake Plenum? I know it uses the passenger side at normal use and then the driver side will open up at full throttle and maybe thats where you can have your chargers? be it twin s/c or t/c... i personaly would go with a small tubo on the passenger side and a biggert turbo for the driver side... getting the best of the fast spool of the small and the max power with the big....
um....well thats what i think.lol
Old 04-05-2007, 04:47 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Old 04-05-2007, 05:13 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99mustanggtdude

what about the FR500 Dual Intake Plenum? I know it uses the passenger side at normal use and then the driver side will open up at full throttle and maybe thats where you can have your chargers? be it twin s/c or t/c... i personaly would go with a small tubo on the passenger side and a biggert turbo for the driver side... getting the best of the fast spool of the small and the max power with the big....
um....well thats what i think.lol
That's kinda what some diesel are doing these days. They have 1 smaller turbo actually feeding a larger turbo. The problem is this makes an unreal amount of boost at the t/b. Most gas engines couldn't handle that much boost.

Quick Reply: Twin Superchargers...