4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Twin Superchargers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Default Twin Superchargers...

Well, I've heard of twin turbos, as most people have. But has anybody done anything with twin superchargers. As of right now, I'm going to get my Powerdyne rebuilt, which as I've found can end up being a more reliable than theothers in the end. But I was thinking, the battery to my car has been moved to the trunk, and well, it seems that this large space on the drivers side needs something to fill it up.

I already have most of the mods that take up space that I can think of, such as cold air intake, and obviously the supercharger under the hood, so I'm at a loss to what could be put there besides another big part that equals more power. Akid at school mentioned putting a tank of "NOS" (ashe refersto all nitrous oxide kits) there, but I don't see a bottle right beside the engine, in probably the most likely to get hit area of the car the safest and more brilliantthing to do, at least in my opinion. So while putting her on the juice is an option in the future, I would still be left with this massive gap in the engine.

It makes perfect sense that a second supercharger would fit there; however, I'm clueless to how this would work. I'm pretty clueless to how twin turbos work, but obviously with it being the popular choice its probably is easier, maybe. I like superchargers for the fact that it gives a nice gain pretty much through the entire RPM range, but would duel superchargers be a waste? Would two superchargers with a lower PSI, at a safer setting so to speak be more efficient and powerful than a single SC? What about boost and gauges. My boost gauge goes right on up to 20 PSI, but my single one won't ever reach that, duh!!! So if I had two running say 6 PSI, would I need two gauges, or one that just reads 12 PSI?

I know these may seem like foolish questions, and as of right now I'm not really looking to do anything like this, maybe in the future if it's possible. I looked on the search, but didn't find any answers. If anything, this post is more of something to ponder over, and just help me understand everything involved so I can start saving up. Thanks!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:59 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Twin Superchargers...

If its possible, it'll cost a crap load to make it all work, on top of being stupid. Any entry level S/C can put out more than your stock motor can handle.. unless your trying to build over 500-550 to the wheels, which it doesnt sound like, stick with what you have..Even if you could make it work, I could kinda see a problem with heat.............

EDIT: Add an Intercooler to your setup and you'll be good.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:12 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

A supercharger/turbo combination would yeild better results in my opinion..... if it at all was even possible....
Old 04-05-2007, 03:18 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

well... i have actually seen 2 twin screws on a dodge truck before up at the nationals in PA... it looked bad ***... and when each blower is putting out 6 psi... you will still only have 6 psi going into the motor.. it doesnt double your boost or anything.. it just adds more airflow
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Yes it has been done. On Carroll Shelby's Cobra he built for Bill Cosby. It had twin S/C, but it was carbureted. I havn't seen a setup like that with an EFI though. It'd be cool, but stupid to drive on the street. It would probably onlytake like 100+ octane fuel (race gas).
Old 04-05-2007, 06:00 AM
jt01gt
2nd Gear Member

seems like thats just asking 4 trouble!
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-05-2007, 06:07 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

VW actually had a concept car with a sc and tc, the car's sc would run for till 2k-2.5k rpms then the turbo would be spooled up enough and take over while the sc is now bypassed. It's supposed to increase fuel economy by not having a bad rpm range. Dunno if its actually tested yet tho.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:49 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsg04gt

If its possible, it'll cost a crap load to make it all work, on top of being stupid. Any entry level S/C can put out more than your stock motor can handle.. unless your trying to build over 500-550 to the wheels, which it doesnt sound like, stick with what you have..Even if you could make it work, I could kinda see a problem with heat.............

EDIT: Add an Intercooler to your setup and you'll be good.
You don't need any thing like this for over 550 WHP... hell the entry level vortech (SQ) will make that much.

There isn't a power level thats even possible on a 2v motor that ati/vortech/paxton don't make a supercharger for.

Dual superchargers are for one thing... show. All it does is create more drag on the accessories which rob more power. Instead of having one blower stealing what, 20-40 percent of your power you would have 2...
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/t-novabuild-2.aspx

Here's a link to a sleeper Nova with twin centri's on it. Old beater in the 9's FTW!!! This is a completely custom job and I'm sure would cost a **** load. It's cool none-the-less. Link covers the whole build.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:00 AM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

i saw a old stingray corvette with twin whipples on this site not too long ago, someone posted a pic of it or something

Quick Reply: Twin Superchargers...