4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

getting work done at ford dealer with an (illegal H)??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:49 AM
jt01gt
2nd Gear Member

Default getting work done at ford dealer with an (illegal H)??

I was just wondering if you bring your car in a dealership to have something done and they see
your not emissions legal, are they obligated by law to report you or not work on the car??
Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Default RE: getting work done at ford dealer with an (illegal H)??

You'll be fine, they'll probably point it out, though. Don't worry about it...
Old 04-06-2007, 12:56 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

I would think that they would only not pass it for emissions if your area mandated them. As for any other repairs, as long as you are not asking them to remove or modify anything that would affect emissions, I don`t see them not working on your car, or reporting you to some agency. If you altered the emissions equipment yourself, they could void your warranty if you were still covered by it.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

You'll be alrigth. As long as nothing yorue having done has anything to do with the exhaust. they wont care..

and when someone *if* someone says something, just plead ignorance and be like.. whats a catylytic converter?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

I went in and they told me I had an illegal exhaust and just wanted to make sure I knew it was illegal before so that I couldn't say they did it lol.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:11 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

well id assume most techs are cool i am one, i would pass it, if the check engine light is not on, and everything else is ok...i would pass it, **** the state lol......and they wont report your to much hassle on them they would prob say we cant pass it, move along, just find somone who will..
Old 04-06-2007, 01:14 AM
jt01gt
2nd Gear Member

thats brings up another ? what do you do to get the engine light off and when its on
is it throwing something off making the engine not run to its full potential?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:34 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

you have to take it to a shop to get it turned off...i will explain this to you...i do inspections all the time...what state do you live in depends to, but i am from new york i will explain how NY runs their state inspections...might help because us and cali are strict ****ers, it sucks..

when the check engine light comes on that means there is an emissons related issue (most of the time) misfire, evap code, O2 codes, whatever, coolant temp, all that effects how your engine runs, and wit hthe laws all the things have to be within a certain spec, also be in a certain spec for the car to run properly, if out the car will run but not at full potental, if not it will throw the code telling you to fix it, clearing the code will turn the light off, but make all your monitors not ready...therefor cant pass inspection until all monitors are ready...but if you didnt fix what the check engine light came up with, it will pop up agian once that certain monitor is ready...so just clearing them, usualy doesnt fix it..but ya when the light comes on get it fixed and save your car the MPG....anything else...just ask, or if you didnt understand a damn thing, ill clarify lol

Old 04-06-2007, 01:44 AM
jt01gt
2nd Gear Member

i live in ohio and am not no worried about having to take an emissions test, so if I just keep light on and dont worry about f-ing with anything is it actually hurting the engine?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:45 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

ehhh you could be, u should at least see what the code is, if its O2 it will kill you MPG if it a misfire killing engine and MPG and if your running lean, you coule put holes in pistons, so get it checked and fixed, def save your engine from stress...i mean if u want get it checked, find me on here and let me know what your code is and maybe i can help ya...

Quick Reply: getting work done at ford dealer with an (illegal H)??