4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Calling all suspension pro's

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:35 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default Calling all suspension pro's

Well, I just picked up all my suspension parts, 225lb 9" front 335lb 10" rear hypercoil springs, bilstein hd shock/struts, mm c/c plates, steering rack bushings, mm panhard bar, mm heavy duty torque arm, and mm non-adjustable extreme lower control arms.

I'm located in the bay area (norcal) and I'm learning how to install all this stuff on my own and if any of you guys would like to help or give any advice I'd gladly take it. I have basic working knowledge of the car, I do my own oil changes, installed mach brakes, slp catted x pipe, lmII catback, hid's, taillight sequencers, cobra mirrors, bullitt scoops, and helped a bit with the installation of my subframes.

I've done quite a bit of research and everything looks fairly straight forward, just the phb/ta/lca's seem a bit daunting atm.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:53 AM
jt01gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Bay area mechanics

yeah, go ahead and pull down your pants and shove them all up your ***!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:56 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jt01gt

yeah, go ahead and pull down your pants and shove them all up your ***!
Thank you for contributing, anyone else?
Old 04-06-2007, 06:24 AM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

lol. well i don't have the knowledge but can lend a hand if i am available.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:23 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Calling all suspension pro's

ORIGINAL: Aereon

Well, I just picked up all my suspension parts, 225lb 9" front 335lb 10" rear hypercoil springs, bilstein hd shock/struts, mm c/c plates, steering rack bushings, mm panhard bar, mm heavy duty torque arm, and mm non-adjustable extreme lower control arms.

I'm located in the bay area (norcal) and I'm learning how to install all this stuff on my own and if any of you guys would like to help or give any advice I'd gladly take it. I have basic working knowledge of the car, I do my own oil changes, installed mach brakes, slp catted x pipe, lmII catback, hid's, taillight sequencers, cobra mirrors, bullitt scoops, and helped a bit with the installation of my subframes.

I've done quite a bit of research and everything looks fairly straight forward, just the phb/ta/lca's seem a bit daunting atm.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't see any uppers on there

Seriously though, its pretty easy. I recommend doing a google search and finding the steeda spring install. Im sorry that I cannot remember exactly where I found it, but there is a writeup with pictures that was easy (10 min search) to find on google that pretty much walks you all the way thru the process.

Things to remeber: Use a file on the control arm mounts on the car to make sure there are NO burrs on the stock mounting locations. if you don't you will end up with cut bushings and the grease will leak out (and dirt in).

Also, forget a spring compressor. I tried it and it didn't work for crap. you will almost have to have another person to help, but after taking off the shock/strut and making sure the brake lines will clear just have someone stand on the a arm while you pry the spring in/out. The compressors are a HUGE PITA and you can't get them out afterwards.

Other than that, just make sure (110 percent) you use a torque wrench when reinstalling the bolts on the control arms. if you don't, your gonna think you have em tight enough when you certianly don't.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I don't see any uppers on there

Seriously though, its pretty easy. I recommend doing a google search and finding the steeda spring install. Im sorry that I cannot remember exactly where I found it, but there is a writeup with pictures that was easy (10 min search) to find on google that pretty much walks you all the way thru the process.

Things to remeber: Use a file on the control arm mounts on the car to make sure there are NO burrs on the stock mounting locations. if you don't you will end up with cut bushings and the grease will leak out (and dirt in).

Also, forget a spring compressor. I tried it and it didn't work for crap. you will almost have to have another person to help, but after taking off the shock/strut and making sure the brake lines will clear just have someone stand on the a arm while you pry the spring in/out. The compressors are a HUGE PITA and you can't get them out afterwards.

Other than that, just make sure (110 percent) you use a torque wrench when reinstalling the bolts on the control arms. if you don't, your gonna think you have em tight enough when you certianly don't.
most of the work on the springs are pretty much done, I've already put the coil over springs over the shocks/struts and just waiting to get a chance to bolt the assembly in. Thanks for the advice on the LCA, because the and the phb/ta are what worries me heh.

Lols, yea I was talking to the mm techies just to be sure when I was making my order, they reassured me of my anti-uca sentiment=P
Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I really hope you are not building this car for the strip. If you are your going to be very disappointed. Your stock suspension will hook better then that set up. But you do have a very good set up for road racing.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I am into open tracking/autox, as well the car will be my daily driver.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:21 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

When you install your lower control arms have a buddy to help out. Do one side at a time. Disconnect the shocks and let the axel drop, pull the spring and disconnect the arm. To install the new one start the bolt on the body side first (hand tight) then put have your buddy manuver the aexl around to get it to line up with the control arm. Once you have it lined up then torque it all down.

For the phb it is a simple bolt in place kind of thing. Did it come with directions?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

yea, they came with directions its just the lining em up part is gonna be tough. Tryna figure out if i can use my friends shop, and steal his lift for a day. The TA is gonna be a bastard because i hafta make sure its squared off and weld everything on. The axles will already be dropped for the coilovers to be installed and the uca's to be removed. The front will have new steering rack bushings installed and the coilovers for it as well.

Thanks for all the advice on the LCA's it's making me a lot more comfortable about trying this on my own.

Quick Reply: Calling all suspension pro's