4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Procharger question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:50 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Procharger question

I have a Procharger P1SC on my '00GT with some other power adders. I had stock internals. (The guy I bought it from said they were forged.....lied). I blew it up on the first run two weeks ago - - 3 holes in the block, 1 piston completely gone from its hole, 3 rods shattered, etc. There is a pile of metal chunks in the pan representing rings, rods, and pistons. One of thecam followers came off and was lyingon top of the headunder thecover.

Get forged parts or rev limit itpretty conservatively. Those hypereutectic pistons/rods shatter likeglass at a point. Istill coasted the last1/3 of the trackand beat the NOS Z28!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:03 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yellowgtstang18

with 10psi and a intercooler you should be okay as long as u get a good tune. But i would recomend getting a intercooler no matter what.

Agree. Get an intercooler, preferably a 3 core. You make more hp by cooling the charge air. If you don't the S/C compression raisescharge airtemp to about 130F and it doesn't combust as well. You can also NOS fog an intercooler to chill the air for even more power. Blowing without a cooler is counterproductive. You raise the temp a lot with the boost and reduce the number of molecules of oxygen per cu cm withthatheat. Cooling it to even below ambient temp. increases the oxygen and, thus, the power. Boy, that S/C whirrrrring sound is so cool, too.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:45 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4.6LPoppy

I have a Procharger P1SC on my '00GT with some other power adders. I had stock internals. (The guy I bought it from said they were forged.....lied). I blew it up on the first run two weeks ago - - 3 holes in the block, 1 piston completely gone from its hole, 3 rods shattered, etc. There is a pile of metal chunks in the pan representing rings, rods, and pistons. One of thecam followers came off and was lyingon top of the headunder thecover.

Get forged parts or rev limit itpretty conservatively. Those hypereutectic pistons/rods shatter likeglass at a point. Istill coasted the last1/3 of the trackand beat the NOS Z28!
As I live in Lovely CA, about the only other thing I plan on doing besides a S/C is the rear gears performance wise. I am too lazy to remove a mid-pipe every 2 years, and long tubes are OUT. I may end up doing shorties after the S/C. The S/C is not happening any time soon, unless I sell a pinball machine or two (My other expensive hobby)

Its just a matter of deciding what brand of centri to go with. I originally wanted a KB, but they are a lot more money, and I could see myself in a lot more trouble with one
Old 04-06-2007, 08:25 PM
JT76

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Don't go RPM outlet...... Lethal Performance or Texas Hot Rods.......
+1 they have great customer service
Old 04-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

http://www.procharger.com/video/WFCMustangBroadband.wmv

here is the video of a "stock" Mustang GT with a procharger bolted on. Methinks I need one of these if this vid is true. The real question I have though, is how long can I expect the bottom end to hold up @ 8psi? I just want 350 ish RWHP. Enough to have fun, but not enough to be tempted into doing something really stupid.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:51 PM
skaarew
1st Gear Member

i didnt think stock 99-04s ran 13.6s in the 1/4?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:12 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tylus

http://www.procharger.com/video/WFCMustangBroadband.wmv

here is the video of a "stock" Mustang GT with a procharger bolted on. Methinks I need one of these if this vid is true. The real question I have though, is how long can I expect the bottom end to hold up @ 8psi? I just want 350 ish RWHP. Enough to have fun, but not enough to be tempted into doing something really stupid.
That video is legit. The driver is a professional driver who drives for Procharger. Plus he is using slicks. Just a matter of time before the rear-end goes kaput on slicks and 5k launches.

All Procharger kits come with an intercooler. My 8psi kit with powerpipe produced 9.74 psi of boost in 65* temps with low humidity. Put out 370 rwhp and 380rwtq. The intercooler cools the intake air temp down allowing you to run more timing than a non-intercooled setup. Timing and a/f ratio is where your power is at. I reccommend Texas Hot-Rods, Lethal Performance, or Johnson Motorsports (JMSchip). I had some tune issues with my kit that I bought from JMS but spent an extra $135 and had it tuned in about 1.5 hours. Their customer service was good. Also, Modular Powerhouse is a new ATI / Procharger dealer and should have a Mongoose Kit out very soon. Several people on this forum swear by their prices, customer service, and tunes. I haven't had any dealings with them as of yet but plan on buying a 10psi pulley from them in the near future.

You will be fine with 10 psi of boost. As long as you have a good tune and keep the rwhp below 450 (the magical point of no return) unless you have a built bottom end.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:23 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skaarew

i didnt think stock 99-04s ran 13.6s in the 1/4?
with slicks it is possible.