4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

fuel filer??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:31 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default fuel filer??

Just picked up a fuel filter for the stang along with other tune up goodies. I was wondering what is the best way to do it? I don't think I have a way to releive the fuel pressure in the lines??.. Is it possible to do it without releiving pressure or is that a dumb move? I was thinking I could just take it to ford and have them install it for a couple bucks, but would they install something that isn't motorcraft and not purchased from them?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: fuel filer??

It`s easy to do. The dealer will rip you off to install the filter. Just pull the fuse for the fuel pump and crank the engine for a few secondsto relieve the fuelpressure. Then change the filter. You do need a special tool toremove the linesthough.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:00 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

along with the things that I got was a pvc valve and I noticed that it has two fittings for the line. Is this normal? It is exactly the same number on the valve itself but just has an extra smaller fitting up top.

As for the fuel filter, that is a safe way to do it, cause that sounds relatively easy. Thanks
Old 04-07-2007, 08:04 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

The extra fitting is probably plugged. Therefore you will need to cut off the end of it if your using it for a different car. It`s probably a universal PCV valve.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:08 PM
gill7784
2nd Gear Member

Just pop your trunk, look down and to the left. Remove the trim near the back and pull the wiring harness off the fuel pump reset switch. Start your car and run it till it dies. Bam! Your fuel system is discharged.

The dealer will charge you 60-70 bucks to do a 5 minute swap.

Really, the hardest part of a fuel filter install is jacking up the rear. You need a flat head screw driver and the cheap fuel line disconnects. Very simple!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Nah. You don`t need to jack up the car unless your a fat ***. [8D]
Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 PM
gill7784
2nd Gear Member

Haha, I did, but I have a 1.5 inch drop. I couldnt fit my head under the gas tank.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gill7784

Just pop your trunk, look down and to the left. Remove the trim near the back and pull the wiring harness off the fuel pump reset switch. Start your car and run it till it dies. Bam! Your fuel system is discharged.

The dealer will charge you 60-70 bucks to do a 5 minute swap.

Really, the hardest part of a fuel filter install is jacking up the rear. You need a flat head screw driver and the cheap fuel line disconnects. Very simple!
+1

Yeah you def wanna evacuate the fuel out of the lines before you do this. I didn't and I got a face full of gas. I got it in my eyes even though I had safty glasses on. We used the plastic disconnect lines on mine and my friends GT, hebroke one on his GT.

P.S. Don't let gasoline hit a hot drop light
Old 04-08-2007, 06:07 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

So if i do this I don't have to take out the fuse for the pump or what? That sounds easy enough. Are you sure that you need a special tool to take the hoses off, cause when I looked under there it looks like I can just pull them off. My chilton guide also says to just pull them off.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:18 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

now just to make sure it's gonna be the harness that is plugged into the bottom of the fuel shut off switch? I can see like three others but i am pretty sure those are just tail lights

Quick Reply: fuel filer??