4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:30 AM
shakin_bakin

Default rear axle

i have this noise in my rear axle not sure if it is bearings or gears but i was thinking about doing a whole rear axle assembly and puitting it in anyone know a how to or how easy this really is i have been told it was easy.. but without seeing it for myself i dont want to jump into it. thanks for any info you have
Old 04-08-2007, 08:38 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: rear axle

If your going to be doing a gear change then you need to get it done professionaly. There is more to it than you think to get it right. You'll need a impact gun, press, in lb torque wrench and there is one more tool that looks like a pipe to help set backlash. If you just want to change the bearings then just get the bearing puller to pull the bearing off the pinion and chunk and do it yourself, just make sure you put the spacers on the side they come from. Gear changes can be done without these tools but you risk the possibility of gear whine. Make sure you add a tube of friction modifier to the diff. lube when your done.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:54 AM
shakin_bakin

thanks but my problem is... im a service member over seas.. no one wnats to touch gears and if its the gears i dont have a choice thats why i was going to order a rear axle assembly if it was the gears. get one with the gears already installed for me. so then id just have to put in the axle. hoping its just bearings there cheaper to replace lol but if it was gears i was going to go with 4:10s might as well. its not a grinding sound more of a high pitched whining squel?? and the mechanic i talked to didnt really know.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:02 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

If you buy a complete assembly that only needs axles then I would for sure do it myself because axles are very easy to install. Bearings are easy to do to as long as you have the puller and a press. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:40 PM
shakin_bakin

great thanks. i might go that route a guy on base has a 06 stang and did his last week maybe i can talk him into helping me he did bearings and gears. thanks a ton for your help puts me on the write track think axle is probly best route. thanks a bunch

Old 04-08-2007, 01:02 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

If you decide to gears yourself make sure you use all new bearings! I would reccomend going with FRRP because they will be the easiest and most uniform to install. I just got done with my 3:73's and I was able to use the origional spacer that goes between the pinion and bearing. You don't need a press to get that bearing off, I simply grinded it off with a cutting wheel. As for the other bearings you can use a puller and to put them on a large socket that fits over the races! The pinion bearing I boiled and slid like butter on the pinion shaft (little trick) You could boil the other bearings and do the same, but using an oversized socket was just as easy. To install the races you will need a bearing puller kit for those and the axle bearings. Mark the caps left and right also top and bottom when you pull the main caps off. These are like engine parts. They will not allow the axles to rotate properly as they can get wedged. I also put some gear oil on the bearings just prior to install so that when you cruch the collar it's litte more accurate. I was able to crush the factory collar with ease, but most of the time it's easier with an aftermarket.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:42 PM
shakin_bakin

hmm thanks for the info what did the bearing cost you probly not much 150 200? and seals of course