4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:37 AM
smokemsidwayz302
1st Gear Member

Default New exhaust....

Finally got my flowmaster 40 series catback and bbk x pipe on that ive been talking about forever and let me tell you...the sound! It sounds like complete f~ing garbage! I know the catback is good but id like to wrap the pipe around the guys neck who I bought it from. Its got the worst rattling sound to it. Has anyone else had this problem? Now im in a position where I dont want to spend anymore money so Ill probably put the stock pipe on and leave the catback. Im very pissed to say the least. I tell everyone stay away from the x pipe ive always used H's and wish i never experimented with any different.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:55 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New exhaust....

Sell the X and get an H. Problem solved.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAD FN GT

Sell the X and get an H. Problem solved.
yep....or just do some more research next time and u'll find out that 40s with o/r x doesnt sound that gread. Granted, i didnt mind mine when i had them but most people dont like them.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:26 AM
luckymckay21
2nd Gear Member

Your 40 series will sound good with an O/R X pipe, just not a BBK off road X-pipe. I used to have that set-up till i switched to longtubes and a VRS X-pipe. Sounds much better now. Give your set-up a week or so, it might grow on you? i hated my old set-up at first, but then Ikind of thought it just sounded mean as hell. Hope everything works out for ya
Old 04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
keeno
2nd Gear Member

I just did the same thing with a UPR X pipe and 40 flows. I would recommend getting a H pipe and selling the X to recoupe some $. Mine sounds like *** too.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Are you sure there are no leaks or anything?

Or maybe your just wanting the more refined sound? Flows sound decent at low rpms and such but up high they just sound so sloppy and odd in my opinion.... either try a different cat back or ditch the X..
Old 04-09-2007, 03:50 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Flows and x/h pipe have been discussed a lot lately. Like I said earlier, I have a buddy that had an 04 with the same setup, only he had shorty headers. It sounded like *** also. I like my o/r X with my catback, but with flows, go with an H.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

hey wuts up i just bought my mustang so everyone here is saying to get an H PIPE..correct...wut about headers BBK is not good?? is long or short headers better??? all i want is better sound the OEM stuff...any suggestions????
Old 04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thatdude305

hey wuts up i just bought my mustang so everyone here is saying to get an H PIPE..correct...wut about headers BBK is not good?? is long or short headers better??? all i want is better sound the OEM stuff...any suggestions????
Long tube headers are much better, they will actually give you a little hp gain, shorties won't. X pipes and H pipes are both good, but both won't go well with certain catbacks.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thatdude305

There is nothing wrong with BBK.. BBK actually makes better headers than mac... But like most people say if you get a mac midpipe i would go ahead and get mac headers to possibly fit better with it.

Quick Reply: New exhaust....