4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Porting stock MAF

Old 11-25-2004, 02:22 AM
Cedarkill
2nd Gear Member

Default Porting stock MAF

OK, I was reading up on this a little, and was wondering if the extra air flow will cause a lean condition anywhere throughout the power band. I mean, the idea of porting it is flow more air, but also change the air/fuel ratio to lean it a little right? But if I port the bastard, will it cause a poor idle or any skipping through out the powerband, or run too lean? Because, this is obviously not a reverseable mod...anyone have any experience or general input on this, all is appreciated!
Old 11-25-2004, 02:23 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Porting stock MAF

ORIGINAL: Cedarkill

OK, I was reading up on this a little, and was wondering if the extra air flow will cause a lean condition anywhere throughout the power band.
yes - if you love your engine then don't do it
Old 11-25-2004, 02:26 AM
Cedarkill
2nd Gear Member

haha, enough said...now how do you guys, meaning PI 4.6's, get away with the bigger MAFs then?
Old 11-25-2004, 02:32 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

because the electronics is calibrated for the larger sampling tube. the maf is dumb, it bases its calculations on a precise area of airflow - if you make the sampling tube flow 10% more air then your gonna run 10% leaner.

Most aftermarket mass air meters (like ProM) are simply factory Ford mass air meters, they take the guts out and put it into a larger mm size tube and re-calibrate the electronics to work with the larger size and no screen / post.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:45 AM
Cedarkill
2nd Gear Member

I see...I didn't realize the aftermarket MAFs came with reclibrated electronics, I just assumed it was just a larger metal housing and you slap you stock electronics on there and put it in place. With that larger housing and more air flow, I thought the idea was to adjust the air/fuel ratio because I was reading that Ford, like everyone else, factory tunes there engines rich for reliability and safety. Not that I want to make my car unreliable nor do I want to sieze it, but I figured leaning it just that little bit would give you some free power. But I don't know exactly how much it will affect the air/fuel ratio though...Anyhow, yea sounds like a bad idea, thought I'd ask though
Old 11-25-2004, 03:49 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

I have a 75 MM MAM on my 97 and it retained the stock sensor, am I making my car run leaner? I am confused now...
Old 11-25-2004, 04:03 AM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

yea i upgraded to a 73 mm housing in my old 5.0 and not only did i not notice any gain of anything, but i lost two miles to the gallon also. that piece of sh*t.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:09 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

well, I put on the MAM throttle body plenum and inlet pipe all at once, I wanted to feel my money at work. It was a noticable difference for me! I was happy..
Old 11-25-2004, 04:42 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

because the electronics is calibrated for the larger sampling tube. the maf is dumb, it bases its calculations on a precise area of airflow - if you make the sampling tube flow 10% more air then your gonna run 10% leaner.

Most aftermarket mass air meters (like ProM) are simply factory Ford mass air meters, they take the guts out and put it into a larger mm size tube and re-calibrate the electronics to work with the larger size and no screen / post.
How so? Unless Pro-m is alot differnt, my C&L setup yused the stock air meter sensor.

I think that C&L and other companys simply vary the size and shape of the tube the sensor sits in. I know that C&L sells different tubes so you can "tune" your maf to your car.

BTW why would you want to port the stock unit? It isnt that much cheaper (really if at all) than buying a new one, and unless his car is different its plastic, which would not really like being milled on (there isnt that much there to take away).
Old 11-25-2004, 04:56 AM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

well mine was metal, yea the whole tuning to the car with the little inlet pipe size is BULL SH*T. i think. you need it to be electronically calibrated to your car to actually be tuned accordingly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porting stock MAF