4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

QUICK! Choose my next mod!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:44 AM
wisk
4th Gear Member

Default RE: QUICK! Choose my next mod!

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

wisk, whats the silencer on the K&N? I have a K&N filter, but it just looks like this.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...T/DSC_5051.jpg

Yeah the gears will be impractical, since my dad to day driving is just in the street. Rarely do I make it on the highway. The gas mileage will be horrible. I make about 20 mpg as it is in the street.

So are you saying that I should do exhaust, or not? I'm a bit confused. I would like a new catback, or at least new tips.

Thanks guys.
Read the link in the tech sticky about the silencer. It is part of the stock intake system. People who prefer not to waste money on an aftermarket CAI usually yank out the silencer from the stock intake setup and drop in a K&N filter. The silencer is completely separate from the filter.

What I am trying to say is, you have already ruled out gears, and a clutch, and I am ruling out a CAI for you and saying get a K&N filter. Its probably money better spent. And then I am also saying that if you want to see/hear your money well spent, I would do exhaust. Exhaust is one thing that YOU have said you wanted new, so try that above everything else.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Ok sounds good. I have the K&N already, so scratch off the CAI as well. I guess I'm going with a new exhaust setup then. But what to buy, what to buy...

I know how to work on cars, I built a Shelby Cobra with my dad, but I've never even thought about re-doing a clutch. It just looks too complicated, and I've seen too many horror stories about a clutch ruining a tranny. My clutch passed a "slip test", so it's in functioning shape for now.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

hmmmm... it actually isnt too hard... just have to make sure it all lines up and to replace the throwout bearing while its out.... this will be my 2nd clutch job within the next couple days.... im attaching my motor to the tranny and putting a new flywheel and such on... so it will all be good to go after that...
Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 AM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

Install a clutch yourself. If you had the tools to put a gear in a car... you have the tools to install a clutch. It is very easy except for getting the trans back up and into the car. If you have several people you could install a clutch in a day easy. I just did it in less than 4 hours sat....