4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Surprising Dyno Results and Videos

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 AM
cahtr6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Surprising Dyno Results and Videos

I haven't looked at the whipple s/c is it any better than say a 2.8H K/B? I figured you already looked into it.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:10 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Man that BS flag almost went up until you said about the port... I would look at the blower... on my older stage 3, steig has his name stamped in the bottom right.. now his comes with his little insignia... but if you are making that much power on a stock HE and without the head cooling mod, that should be a DEFINATE priority. I mean like it should be done last week, lol... that's how a lot of the older terminator owners blew motors... running high hp w/stock cooling. May also want to check to see if there is a head cooling mod installed... im sure you'd notice the larger heat exchanger.

Also it's fairly easy to see if the tb/plenum has been ported... the stock one has a little thumb in it.. but my ported one didn't have it...

but nice numbers!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I was going to go whipple eventually, haha... but the last 3 reputable tuners ive been to, say Kenne Bell for the reason that the whipples casing aren't the best, and they've seen a lot of whipples fail because of it. I might do a 2.6L KB when the time is right... Unless you have a built motor, I don't see the need for the 3.3L whipple or the 2.8KB... you run 700rwhp with all of em... because you need race gas and a built motor to run the advertised 1000rwhp really...

ORIGINAL: cahtr6

I haven't looked at the whipple s/c is it any better than say a 2.8H K/B? I figured you already looked into it.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

It doesn't matter too much really for the 2.5 or 3, but the 3" IMO, will sound a lil better. Once you get into the high hp range, the 3" may give you a very small performance edge over the 2.5", but dont quote me on that cuz I'm not entirely sure on that. The 3" does look better out the back of a cobra tho.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: goldeneagle_10

It doesn't matter too much really for the 2.5 or 3, but the 3" IMO, will sound a lil better. Once you get into the high hp range, the 3" may give you a very small performance edge over the 2.5", but dont quote me on that cuz I'm not entirely sure on that. The 3" does look better out the back of a cobra tho.
So on an all stock 03 cobra would putting 3" exhaust be pointless? It would be deeper wouldnt it?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Man that BS flag almost went up until you said about the port... I would look at the blower... on my older stage 3, steig has his name stamped in the bottom right.. now his comes with his little insignia... but if you are making that much power on a stock HE and without the head cooling mod, that should be a DEFINATE priority. I mean like it should be done last week, lol... that's how a lot of the older terminator owners blew motors... running high hp w/stock cooling. May also want to check to see if there is a head cooling mod installed... im sure you'd notice the larger heat exchanger.

Also it's fairly easy to see if the tb/plenum has been ported... the stock one has a little thumb in it.. but my ported one didn't have it...

but nice numbers!
Yea, I almost didn't believe it either when I saw those numbers on the dyno. I wasn't expecting anything like that. And yes, the cooling mods need to be done ASAP. Heres why I hadn't so far..... the owner didn't tell me the car had a ported blower [&:]

I don't know if he just had no clue what his shop did to his car or just didn't want to tell me about it. Kinda dangerous cuz it looks like the car was tuned before based on that it was a stock blower with it being so lean.

I'm pretty sure there is no head cooling mod on it and its for sure a stock HE obviously. Those 2 things are on priority right now before I really get out and drive the car anymore.

I'm still gonna go whipple cuz I've heard good and bad for both whipple and KB. Really IMO, its all about the tune. If you can get the tune spot on, either one will be fine. I just want to run about 17lbs of boost so the Whipple is more of what I'm looking for. But for now, a cooler cobra is in the making.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:22 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

ORIGINAL: goldeneagle_10

So on an all stock 03 cobra would putting 3" exhaust be pointless? It would be deeper wouldnt it?
Its not pointless... but its not something you have to have. My exhaust is2.5" with a 3" tipand I love it, very deep and throaty.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

my mods in my sig below, here is a break down and im sure im running damn close to 500 if not over..

Steig stg 3 port w/ported TB --- $650.00 (not including sale of stock blower)
Steeda Intake - $60.00 - ebay.com
Mac O/R H-pipe w/flowmaster catback - flowmasters on car when bought - midpipe $90.00
2.81 Pulley w/Tri-Ax (installed w/car) $80.00 for pulley 180 for triax
LFP Dual pass HE - 329.00
SCT 2400 MAF - 150$ used on m o d u l a r f o r d s .com
Kenne Bell BAP- $200.00 used on svtperf.
Spec 3 clutch -$500.00 w/flywheel
315/35-17 Drag Radials -$300
Horsepower by Hermann tune 425 for tune, 150 for used xcal2

Total: 3000.00 - a daily driven 500rwhp/tor car - reliable. Not including, clutch broke on me (so that became mandatory), and my blower will sell for a few hundred... Except for Tune, all installed by me - no labor needed.

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

That will look good! But after you tint those windows it will look like a completely different car!

So to make those numbers with those mods you described... How much money of mods is that? It seems like just a few minor things and bam! All that power!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:26 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

The head cooling mod is actually easy to see... if its the Even flow - on top of hte motor you will see a t bracket right in front of the intercooler tank.. (look for the new clamps)

Or the LDC head cooling mod on the bottom:

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Hmm, I dont remember seeing the Stiegmeier stamp on mine tho. I can't see the pics since I'm at work, but once I got off work today, I'll go take a look at my motor and take a quick pic and post it on here.

Quick Reply: Surprising Dyno Results and Videos