4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bassani or Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:41 PM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bassani or Flowmaster?

ORIGINAL: PWORLDSTANG

C6 Vette, problems aside.

My advice is to go with the Flows. I have them and don't have or notice any of the problems or complaints that people have with them. They fit well and the tips look GOOD coming out of the rear of the car. On top of that, you get a sound that will define your car as being a muscle car.
No problems here man....and since were in the same neigborhood maybe will bump into each other at the track...someday....Have a good one...[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 04-10-2007, 06:43 PM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

BASSANI!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

My advice is to go with the Flows. I have them and don't have or notice any of the problems or complaints that people have with them. They fit well and the tips look GOOD coming out of the rear of the car. On top of that, you get a sound that will define your car as being a muscle car.
I forgot to mention that plus, we live in the Bay Area so rust shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure the cat back will last a long time.
I live on the coast in Daly City and it is consistantly foggy, especially during the summer months......Has rust been an issue with the flows?
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HOLLYWOOD99

BASSANI!!!
Between those two I agree +10

BASSANI !!
djb1187
5th Gear Member

flowmasters sound better IMO. yea its made poorly but the sound is great
Old 04-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

FYI after hearing the regular magnaflows they are just as loud as the magnapacks until you get WOT... All the way up to probably 3500 rpms they sound identical!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Bassani!!! This is not even a debate as far as quality goes. You are comparing the most common, cheapest catback to the highest quality, most expensive one. Both sound good IMO, but as far as quality the Bassasi blows away Flowmasters.

Magnaflow, Borla are also excellent quality systems, and are worth looking into. I went with Magnaflow because I got them so freakin' cheap.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

ORIGINAL: C6 VETTE

I am going to get a cat-back system put on my 99 GT in a couple weeks and I am trying to get some opinions as to which one is made of better quality and what sounds best.?...I have heard a 2006 GT with Bassani's and they sound good,but he also had shorty's and not to mention his is a 3V while mine is a 2V.
I've been researching this for a couple of weeks and here are *my* findings for my 2003 GT Vert.
FWIW I wanted +1 over stock sound, stainless , no significant highway drone and a quality system.

I'm not interested in waking up the neighborhood, and I don't like the raspy popping sound that some people do like.
I prefer a deep rumble. quiet at idle and cruising but opens up if and when you stomp on it.
I am using stock H pipe and intend to keep it that way.

I would say in this group at least, my tastes and needs are a LOT different from most of the people here.
Stuff like "straight pipe" is just nutty IMHO.
I got over that one 25 years ago but I do appreciate others expressing what THEY want in their cars.

2006 GT sounds completely different than the 2V motors so you can't compare.
Cobra sounds different as well so you can't compare.
Mach sounds pretty much the same so you can compare.

After much research I went with the Magnaflow standard catback system.
I should have it installed by the weekend so I will let you know.

Understand, this is a TAME system, but you can go with the Magnapack model and it's much louder.
If you want the raspy sound, get an X pipe.
Deeper sound go with or stick with an H pipe.

IMHO there is no comparison in quality between Flowmaster and Bassani.
Bassani, Borla, SLP, Magnaflow are light years ahead in quality.
However, they are also more expensive and some people DO like the Flowmaster sound as well as the look of the tips.
I'm not one of them [8D] (The tips look good though, it's the sound and droning I don't like)

You might also check into Steeda because they make a nice system as well.

go to mustangexhaust.com and explore to your hearts content

Are the tips too small?. The S197 I seen and heard with Bassani's had no drone that I couls hear when we went for a ride....The tips were 3 1/2 inchers that looked good? however I wonder how a 3 1/2 inch tips would look on my New edge? I knew I would come to this hard decision making on exhaust sooner or later and man it sucks....lol

My lunch break is over[X(]
Thanks so much guys for your honest and knowledgable opinions, I'll check back later....
Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: C6 VETTE

I forgot to mention that plus, we live in the Bay Area so rust shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure the cat back will last a long time.
I live on the coast in Daly City and it is consistantly foggy, especially during the summer months......Has rust been an issue with the flows?
I've only had them on my car for about two months, but they still look brand new. So far so good.

What funny is that I also have a Mac H pipe. From what everyone says, these two brands are THE WORST in quality. But, I have no complaints whatsoever. The mid pipe bolted up to the manifolds fine and fit well. And the Cat back bolted up to the mid pipe and fit well also. So I have no complaints. The only things I can say about my personal experience with Mac and Flowmaster are postive.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Mac used to have the same quality as flows... However mac has progressed and will keep doing so.
Mac > Flows in sound and quality!

Quick Reply: Bassani or Flowmaster?