4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

methonal injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:05 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: methonal injection

ORIGINAL: nanaki

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

How much is a meth kit honestly gonna cost you. Is it gonna save you ANY money at all over just the extra 1-3 bucks per fillup. Cause now you not only have to spend the money on the meth kit. Now you have to worry about refilling it constantly (which will cost how much) and if you run it dry you have the possibility of hurting the motor.

IMO just put the good gas in it anyway.
you've obviously never researched the matter thoroughly. i don't know how scarce windshield wiper fluid is where you live and how much it costs, but around here, about half of a $1 bottle fills up my resevoir and it lasts a long time. also, kits have the indicator lights that let you know if there's a flow problem and also can bleed your bypass valve and cut timing if there's a problem with the flow.
Exactly, please folks do not give advice if you do not have the experience. Running meth on your system will allow you to increase timing dramatically and you'll see and feel the gains. It's also a great safety feature in keeping IAT done, detonation control and octane boost. I'd still run at least 91 octaine though!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:09 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

How much is a meth kit honestly gonna cost you. Is it gonna save you ANY money at all over just the extra 1-3 bucks per fillup. Cause now you not only have to spend the money on the meth kit. Now you have to worry about refilling it constantly (which will cost how much) and if you run it dry you have the possibility of hurting the motor.

IMO just put the good gas in it anyway.
It's a quarter of the price of an intercooler and windshield washing fluid is cheap. He can and more boost and timing for nice gains. Use it not as a replacement for premium but as an enhancement!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:11 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

I talked with my tuner about Meth because I did look into it. He does not recommend it to any of his customers and will not sell it to any of them. This is the same guy who has a stock motored Cobra into the 9's (and the fastest KB 2.2 car in the country), and has been working on Ford's modulars since their introduction. I am gonna trust this guy.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:14 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I talked with my tuner about Meth because I did look into it. He does not recommend it to any of his customers and will not sell it to any of them. This is the same guy who has a stock motored Cobra into the 9's (and the fastest KB 2.2 car in the country), and has been working on Ford's modulars since their introduction. I am gonna trust this guy.
That's fine! However if he's a twin screw guy, I see why as they are a pain to tune. You really can't base it on one persons opinion though[]
Old 04-11-2007, 04:20 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

the same can be said for many tuners. i can say the same for the guy i go to. he hasn't had a kit fail once. if you get the base kits without any of the safety features, then yeah, good luck. also, your guy just may not know how to really tune them. if you call snow performance, they'll straight up tell you not to bother if there's nobody you can go to that knows what they're doing with meth injection.

and FYI, they make MAF kits for twin screw/roots applications.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: nanaki

the same can be said for many tuners. i can say the same for the guy i go to. he hasn't had a kit fail once. if you get the base kits without any of the safety features, then yeah, good luck. also, your guy just may not know how to really tune them. if you call snow performance, they'll straight up tell you not to bother if there's nobody you can go to that knows what they're doing with meth injection.

and FYI, they make MAF kits for twin screw/roots applications.
Thanks for backing me up Nanaki! I cannot say how pleased I am with the meth kit. Everyone should realise that I did the PI head swap which bumped my comp to 10.3:1. I'm running boost and very agressive timing on 93 octane WITHOUT even a hint of detonation!
BTW, the kits for the twin screw/roots are still a bit of a pain to tune!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:31 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

seeing as how i'm a meth kit user, of course i'm gonna back it up

i'm not a fanboy, but i don't like mis-information about them. i'm not pushing anybody to get the kit, but just want them to know that it's not just a hose from your wiper fluid going into your intake, and if something happens with flow or you run out, your motor is done.

and yeah, the shop i go to i think tuned 1 MAF kit and he wasn't too fond of it. he's done a number of the boost activated ones. he got 100RWHP from one on a blown fox with the actual boost juice. he got 50RWHP out of my car on the cheap blue wiper fluid
Old 04-11-2007, 04:38 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Also if you did notice I never said anything bad about the use of methanol. I know it works and can work well. I answered the kids question tho.If it came down to putting 93 in the tank vs spendin the money on a meth kit so i can run cheap gas I would rather run the 93 in the tank.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:40 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

nonono! i said misinformation. you were talking about how it could damage your motor and there's nothing you can do about it. you were also claiming that you would constantly be refilling it and it would get pricey. i was mostly correcting that. the kits have all the safety bells and whistles in place to prevent anything bad from happening, and wiper fluid is cheap as shat! i didn't want people thinking that it was dangerous like that, that's all.