4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Torque specs for pinion bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Brandons98GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Torque specs for pinion bolt

I need to change my pinion seal because it is leaking alot of fluid, I was wondering the torque specs for the pinion bolt, and the drive shaft bolts. Also how many quarts of gear oil and what weight for my rear end.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:36 PM
bullitt15
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Torque specs for pinion bolt

if you didn't allready do it, you need a new crush sleeve. the crush sleeve is like a torgue-to-yield head bolt, but it crushes, so you cant reuse it. the back pinion bearing(front of car) will need to be removed. the only possable way to get it out is to pound out the pinion, so the diff would also have to come out. i dont think theres any other way. and at that point the bearing might possably be ruined. mine wasn't but i replaced it anyway. sounds like a good time to do a gear swap hint hint

minimum torque for pinion nut 140ft/lbs(i got up to 180 to get 20 inch pounds of bearing pre-load)
pinion flange bolts(driveshaft) 75-90ft/lbs
differential fluid about 2 quarts

good reads
http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=144780
http://www.superstallions.com/tech/d...ars/gears.html
Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bullitt15

if you didn't allready do it, you need a new crush sleeve. the crush sleeve is like a torgue-to-yield head bolt, but it crushes, so you cant reuse it. the back pinion bearing(front of car) will need to be removed. the only possable way to get it out is to pound out the pinion, so the diff would also have to come out. i dont think theres any other way. and at that point the bearing might possably be ruined. mine wasn't but i replaced it anyway. sounds like a good time to do a gear swap hint hint

minimum torque for pinion nut 140ft/lbs(i got up to 180 to get 20 inch pounds of bearing pre-load)
pinion flange bolts(driveshaft) 75-90ft/lbs
differential fluid about 2 quarts
First off.... You can get the seal out without removing the entire differential. Yes the crush sleeve is a torque to yield but it has such an enormous gap for leaniency. I believ it was something like 16-28in/lbs for crushing it depending if you have new or used bearings??? Now when you do pinion pre-load the carrier isn't in place. In your case I would check up on this but I remember checking mine after I was done incase I had this problem and preload with the carrier in place was upwards of around 60in/lbs of torque for crushing the collar, but this was for new bearings with the carrier in place which changes the readings of what your suppose to be at! Old bearings will be slightly less. You must keep checking this sice you will attempt to reuse your collar. I would shoot for 45-50 in/lbs of preload. Make sure you take your wheels off for this as this will effect the readings! NOW This is just a backyard job ordeal, nothing by the book, but it will save you hours of hassle!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:57 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

The ford factory manual goes through the steps for replacing the seal without tearing down rear. They say to remove wheels & brakes then check the pinion rotational force with an inch lb torque wrench, that is the force needed to turn the pinion gear & ring gear & carrier & axles. Record that # than remove flange & replace seal then tighten nut (new nut recomended with locktite) until you can get a similar reading. I know this is not the procedure for a new pinion install but thats the way Ford says to do it. Now for the easy way, just remove flange & seal & reinstall flange & torque it to 150 ft lbs. Don't forget to top off your gear lube. It takes 250 to 400 ft lbs to crush that crush sleave more so 150 is enough to seat the flange & will leave everything the way it was as far as preload & depth. Any service station will do it this way in 1/2 hr. Many of us with 05+ stangs have replaced the flange to go to a one piece shaft and most have used this method without problems. Mark the flange & shaft so they go back the same way.