4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

swaying left and right in rear end

Old 04-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: swaying left and right in rear end

ORIGINAL: 97targa

Yeah your springs make your sway bars work much harder and put more stress on them. I would pull off your rear sway bar which is only 4 bolts and see if that helps. Just dont go into a corner at high speeds as your car may plow (loss of steering) front wheels skid like a front wheel drive in a snow storm..lol well maybe not so funny when it happens, but it won't be that bad at all, just makin sure you don't hit'em up like normal testing that back end out, because it will stick like glue without that sway bar!
that would be a bad idea, our car's handle like crap without the sway bar. Try driving a GT with a broken sway bar... you'll think your in a freakin pinto.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:49 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Come to think of it, my car did the same thing wwhen I had the spare tire and speaker box in the trunk!
What do you have for weight in the trunk? Do you fill your tank all the ways up? When specifically does this happen, because the more weight you have back there, the worse it will be! I never fuel my car past 1/2 tank because I sacrafice handling and my *** squats just enough to offset my perfect lowering job and sits the back 1/2" lower than the front which I hate
Old 04-12-2007, 04:58 AM
jt01gt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys it just makes me cringe every time I drive it (why i havent been driving it much lately) because I was thinking something was terriblely wrong and I was going to hurt something else. Its good to know that Im not the only one experiencing this.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-12-2007, 05:56 AM
capslinky

I'm no expert on subframe connectors or anything, but I've heard (insert opinion from other more knowledgablemembers who would know here) that Maximum Motorsports make a superior SF connector than Steeda.. I don't know.. To me all it is a piece of steel connecting the *** to the nose.. But hey, I'm still trying to make my car faster before I make it handle better, or stop better for that matter. Odds are I'll get in a fender bender before that will even happen, and the insurance company will wind up totaling out my car. But hey being in college and not having the$$ to mod your car the way you want to all the timeis a gamble in more ways than one. Happy aggresive driving to you all. And may I add, a moment driving a slower car than my mustang (an acura CL 3.0L- while not that slow), is a moment that I truly do appreciate all the mods, speed, acceleration, and well, flat out *****, my car does have. Enjoy your rides friends.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:02 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

I thought what he is experiencing is "bumpsteer"? Guess not. I haven't had this problem in my 04 GT but did get alot of it in my lowered 98 Ranger.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capslinky

I'm no expert on subframe connectors or anything, but I've heard (insert opinion from other more knowledgablemembers who would know here) that Maximum Motorsports make a superior SF connector than Steeda.. I don't know.. To me all it is a piece of steel connecting the *** to the nose.. But hey, I'm still trying to make my car faster before I make it handle better, or stop better for that matter. Odds are I'll get in a fender bender before that will even happen, and the insurance company will wind up totaling out my car. But hey being in college and not having the$$ to mod your car the way you want to all the timeis a gamble in more ways than one. Happy aggresive driving to you all. And may I add, a moment driving a slower car than my mustang (an acura CL 3.0L- while not that slow), is a moment that I truly do appreciate all the mods, speed, acceleration, and well, flat out *****, my car does have. Enjoy your rides friends.
I dissagree with your modding style, but sf connectors are just a long piece of pipe that runs under your car, however most of steeda's parts are designed for bling factor and I would never trust them with something that can potentially save my life (suspension parts).

ORIGINAL: 97targa
Come to think of it, my car did the same thing wwhen I had the spare tire and speaker box in the trunk!
What do you have for weight in the trunk? Do you fill your tank all the ways up? When specifically does this happen, because the more weight you have back there, the worse it will be! I never fuel my car past 1/2 tank because I sacrafice handling and my *** squats just enough to offset my perfect lowering job and sits the back 1/2" lower than the front which I hate
that would be due to the fact that your uca's are already having a hard time pushing the rear axle away from the body of the car. With the extra weight the car will wanna sit down lower, it is the uca's job to make sure it controls the height the axle moves up into the body of the car, with already this extra strain on it, it does not take much more for the uca to start fighting itself when you go over bumps and such. while they are trying to push/hold the axle vertically in place while you go over a bump, it will sacrifice it's ability to hold the axle horizontally. Most mustang drivers will not notice it because they are more interested in how fast they can accelerate and often overlook it.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04mineralgreyGT

I thought what he is experiencing is "bumpsteer"? Guess not. I haven't had this problem in my 04 GT but did get alot of it in my lowered 98 Ranger.
bump steer has to do with the front of the car, it's when you hit a bump or any other debri on the road and it causes your car to steer in a direction, that you as a driver, did not intend it to. Main difference is the feel of the car when it's bumpsteer and when its the crappy placement of the uca's. Also in most cases the bumpsteer problem is caused by cheap owners that drop their car with stock struts and no c/c plates. This combo will not allow proper suspension travel, car will not be aligned right, struts will be in a weird position, tires will be worn quicker, and you will feel bumpsteer quite a bit more than you'd like
Old 04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Rear sway bar could be broken/loose?\

I took the front sway bar off mine, and the front tires will do that pretty severly
Old 04-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

I took the front sway bar off mine, and the front tires will do that pretty severly
front tires doing what? bumpsteer?? follow grooves? or hop a bit in the corners?

yea for some reason there have been alot of gt owners with broken rear sway bars from regular dd... I've been hammering my car pretty hard through corners and havent had them break yet.

Also with a rear sway and no front sway your probably experiencing a lot of oversteer through corners.

With
Old 04-12-2007, 02:21 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

front tires doing what? bumpsteer?? follow grooves? or hop a bit in the corners?

yea for some reason there have been alot of gt owners with broken rear sway bars from regular dd... I've been hammering my car pretty hard through corners and havent had them break yet.

Also with a rear sway and no front sway your probably experiencing a lot of oversteer through corners.

With
It just body rolls HARD. And when coming to a stop, each side will follow grooves. Its crazy. I do NO aggressive cornering EVER, so I wouldnt know about the oversteer, although I can imagine you are precisely correct.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: swaying left and right in rear end