4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

plly size=more HP

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Speeder_069
1st Gear Member

Default plly size=more HP

whoild a smaller pullymake me have more power on my cobra????aby other idea what i should do?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: plly size=more HP

You mean for your S/C'er??? Yes most def. I wouldn't run more than 10psi on the stock unit from I hear they won't last too long!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Some info on your setup would be good......
Old 04-12-2007, 10:57 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

You mean for your S/C'er??? Yes most def. I wouldn't run more than 10psi on the stock unit from I hear they won't last too long!

The max boost you can run on your stock blower is right around 14-15lbs. I say max because after that, the Eaton becomes like a heater. So with that in mind, you can run a 2.8 upper pulley and that will put you right at the max boost level I mentioned. You can also run a 2.93 upper and a 2lb lower and get the same thing. With the second combo, your torque numbers could be a tad higher. Until you port your blower, I wouldn't go any more than this.

Keep in mind that with the 2.8, its gonna get a lil hot under the hood. So you deffinetly need to open up your vents to let the heat escape. Also, you might wanna consider two important cooling mods... a heat exchanger and a head cooling mod.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:04 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Only have one thing to add...

You can run approx 14-15psi with just the 2.81... more then that is really pushing overspinning the stock eaton, however if you have the supercharger ported (approx $500-700), they say the best combo is a 2.93+4lb lower.. which makes 16psi approx.

ORIGINAL: goldeneagle_10

The max boost you can run on your stock blower is right around 14-15lbs. I say max because after that, the Eaton becomes like a heater. So with that in mind, you can run a 2.8 upper pulley and that will put you right at the max boost level I mentioned. You can also run a 2.93 upper and a 2lb lower and get the same thing. With the second combo, your torque numbers could be a tad higher. Until you port your blower, I wouldn't go any more than this.

Keep in mind that with the 2.8, its gonna get a lil hot under the hood. So you deffinetly need to open up your vents to let the heat escape. Also, you might wanna consider two important cooling mods... a heat exchanger and a head cooling mod.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:02 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

You can run approx 14-15psi with just the 2.81... more then that is really pushing overspinning the stock eaton, however if you have the supercharger ported (approx $500-700), they say the best combo is a 2.93+4lb lower.. which makes 16psi approx.

eventuallY, wont the belt just slip?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:16 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

A guy I knew had a white cobra and the belt was slipping but he was doing 550-600 at the wheels then he blew it with nitrous...

Can you really get 16psi with it ported? If i remember correctly my friend god 14 or 15
Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

eventuallY, wont the belt just slip?
You get belt slip from running anything from a 2.93 pulley or lower. A tensioner pulley eliminatesbelt slip. It mounts next to and a little underneath the supercharger pulley. It gives you better belt wrap. I have a 2.76 upper pulley and a tensioner pulley and have no belt slip at all.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:51 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

A guy I knew had a white cobra and the belt was slipping but he was doing 550-600 at the wheels then he blew it with nitrous...

Can you really get 16psi with it ported? If i remember correctly my friend god 14 or 15
Yea you can. With a ported blower, 16PSI is the "Sweet Spot", meaning it's most efficient at that PSI level.

You can also run 16PSI on an unported Eaton but it's a bad idea. And there are people who do it with upper and lower pulley combos. But simply put, an unported Eaton will just get too hot at that PSI level.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:55 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Speeder_069

whoild a smaller pullymake me have more power on my cobra????aby other idea what i should do?
There is more to a pulley than just swapping it and hitting the road. You'll also need a tune. A tune is KEY!

I think it'd be a better idea to just start off with just an intake and exhaust.You'll see some nice power gains from the both of them. But that's just to start off. Then DEFINITELY pulley it.

Quick Reply: plly size=more HP