4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

newbie 3.8--> 4.6 need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:22 AM
alphajosh

Default newbie 3.8--> 4.6 need help

Well i grew frustrated with the sixer andstarted looking at cobras fora couplemonth now. i ran into a really sweet looking one last week at a local dealer. The car is (04)relatively underpriced( 25,000) has low mileage(35k) and looks like has been modded to an extent. I test drove that thing and nearly **** my pants. bottom line is i really like the car but...im a little skeptical as to why its so underpriced. The asked the sales guy if he knew what the previous owner had done to the car and he said it came from an auction so he's not sure. Carfax came back clean. What do you guys think. does 25k sound low given the mileage and upgrades?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: newbie 3.8--> 4.6 need help

What are the mods done to it? I know in Cali thats a little low,. but this is Cali lol.. It doesn't sound to low.. I'd be concerned if it was down at like 21k. Try and find yourself one that you can be sure was bone stock, even if it costs a little more. Some will disagree, but for the most part, the more performance mods done to a vehicle, the more likely it was beaten on.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:09 AM
alphajosh

Thanks dsg for the reply. Yeah its not too ridiculously low, it does seem to be around 2-3 thousand cheaper compared to the other ones ive seen. Ive never owned a cobra so its hard for me to know what it actually has. It's got gauges, the exhause you can tell has been upgraded(WOT's like a mf, )and idles weird.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:23 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alphajosh

Well i grew frustrated with the sixer andstarted looking at cobras fora couplemonth now. i ran into a really sweet looking one last week at a local dealer. The car is (04)relatively underpriced( 25,000) has low mileage(35k) and looks like has been modded to an extent. I test drove that thing and nearly **** my pants. bottom line is i really like the car but...im a little skeptical as to why its so underpriced. The asked the sales guy if he knew what the previous owner had done to the car and he said it came from an auction so he's not sure. Carfax came back clean. What do you guys think. does 25k sound low given the mileage and upgrades?
25k is about right for a 04 withi moderate miles on it.

I definatly do not agree with the whole idea that any car with mods on it has been beaten on. I have done alot to my car, and I would not tear it up simply because of my investment (that and I just don't do that ****). In any case, unless they drive with no oil etc whats the worst thing they probably did... drive it hard. And what are you going to do?

BTW, upgrades mean nothing on a car lot so far as price. I won't get a dime extra for my car above what I would if it was stock on a carlot.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

i think someone just posted a link yesterday of an '03 cobra on ebay with similar miles for only $21k.........
Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

****... for 27k i know of 2 03/04 Cobrastangs on eBay that have WELL over 20k invested in motor work! THAT is the cobra to buy! Buy it done.. with low miles... what can possibly go wrong?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:52 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

25k isn't too bad for a terminator with 35k on the clock at a dealership. Remember this, any car can be brought back to its stock form even if it has quite a few mods. It sounds to me that it could have a few on there... exhaust, pulley, tune, etc. If you buy this car, first thing you need to have done is take it take a good tuner and have the tune in the car checked. Lessens learned cuz I bought an 04 cobra and just had the tune checked in it and it was very very lean... dangerously lean. Good luck tho, sounds like a decent deal to me.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:49 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: alphajosh

Well i grew frustrated with the sixer and started looking at cobras for a couple month now. i ran into a really sweet looking one last week at a local dealer. The car is (04)relatively underpriced( 25,000) has low mileage(35k) and looks like has been modded to an extent. I test drove that thing and nearly **** my pants. bottom line is i really like the car but...im a little skeptical as to why its so underpriced. The asked the sales guy if he knew what the previous owner had done to the car and he said it came from an auction so he's not sure. Carfax came back clean. What do you guys think. does 25k sound low given the mileage and upgrades?
25k is about right for a 04 withi moderate miles on it.

I definatly do not agree with the whole idea that any car with mods on it has been beaten on. I have done alot to my car, and I would not tear it up simply because of my investment (that and I just don't do that ****). In any case, unless they drive with no oil etc whats the worst thing they probably did... drive it hard. And what are you going to do?

BTW, upgrades mean nothing on a car lot so far as price. I won't get a dime extra for my car above what I would if it was stock on a carlot.
i've seen videos of you doing stuff to your car that would keep me from buying it

as far as teh original poster, i would not buy a modded mustang
idles funny? IT HAS CAMS!!![8D]
just what ever you do make sure you buy a 4v and not a 2 or youll be back in the same boat youwere with the sixxer, except for a little bit faster
Old 04-12-2007, 11:54 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

the price is about right... a bit shallow for dealer.. but run a carfax, im sure it's ok.. the miles for a 04' Cobra really aren't that low... technically it is for a car, but for a 04' COBRA it's not... if you like it buy it. Run a carfax, ask for a compression test... is the pulley cover on? If it's been pullied that's a dead giveaway... it's just going from a V6 to a Blown Cobra is a huge jump - if you do buy it.. get use to the power before you go ***** to the wall, or you'll end up in a wall...

http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2...m#_Toc35092330 < -- check that site out.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:05 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

if anything i'd say that's too much. but i guess if all the ones in your area are even more $$$ for the same thing, it's not bad. he's probably got it priced to sell.