4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I Need Help Quick! - - I Think I Just got Ripped Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

Default I Need Help Quick! - - I Think I Just got Ripped Off

I just bought what were advertised as "Mahle brand 18cc dished pistons" from and individual and he has shipped them. When I told him I could only find 16cc dished from Mahle, he said, "Oh these are the production Ford 5.4 supercharged engine 18cc dished pistons made by Mahle". Did (does) Mahle make 18cc dished pistons for Fordthat Ford put in a S/C'd 5.4??? I know they makean aftermarketthat will fit, but did they make them for FORD??? He says the Ford piston is made by Mahle. I don't think so. There's about to be a fight. I may need to stop a credit card payment. Stupid me for trying to get a good deal.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:57 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I Need Help Quick! - - I Think I Just got Ripped Off

If he shipped them to you, his info should be on the product he ships. Wait and see what you get, but this is a classic example of why you should do you homework before you buy anything now. We have guys right now who are itching to get at this asshold "i'm so fasch" for a huge *** scam he ran. I must say that when he's caught, his name will be changed to "i'm so f*cked".
Old 04-12-2007, 11:14 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02 Ninja

If he shipped them to you, his info should be on the product he ships. Wait and see what you get, but this is a classic example of why you should do you homework before you buy anything now. We have guys right now who are itching to get at this asshold "i'm so fasch" for a huge *** scam he ran. I must say that when he's caught, his name will be changed to "i'm so f*cked".
It would just be great not to have to fight and get the credit card people riled up. He said they were "Mahle" brand. Then, after he shipped them he says "yeah, these are the Ford production pistions Mahle made for Ford." I was buying them for my 4.6. I don't think either the Cobra R or Lightning has forged, dished pistons from the factory. Was hoping to just refuse shipment if I know for sure.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

The 03/04 cobras come with mahle pistons. Do you have a part number or something for them?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:20 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

The 03/04 cobras come with mahle pistons. Do you have a part number or something for them?
Do the Cobra pistions bear the name Mahle, or were they just made by Mahle?? Good brands sometimes manufacture for someone, like Ford, but to the specs of the company they are doing it for, not their own. No, I don't have a number, it was an an individual. Repeat, stupid me.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Not sure about that. But I woudlnt worry either way. The pistons in the cobras will handle 800 rwhp. Are the ones you bought a 2618 or 4032 forging? What are you planning on doing with the car?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:48 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

Not sure about that. But I woudlnt worry either way. The pistons in the cobras will handle 800 rwhp. Are the ones you bought a 2618 or 4032 forging? What are you planning on doing with the car?
4032. Rebuilding my 2V. I blew it up on the first run of the season. 2000 GT with '98 Cobra Teksid block and crank, P1SC supercharger running 12lbs, MSD Stacker 8 ignition, 42lb injectors, Bullitt intake/twin 57mm throttle bodies, BBK lt's, adjustable upper/lower control arms, subframes, 3.73, T-5, Mack rear end cover, some more.... It was making about 550rwhp. I have NX wet system with intercooler fogger that I may activate if I can get it strong enouogh (not spraying when I blew up.. got wheelspin at 75mph and overrevved----kablooey!)

Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a killer setup. I dunno if you researched the different forgings, but the 2618s are a little tougher. Did you get them for a steal? There are some stock bore 16cc DSS pistons on ebay right now for 50 bucks no reserve, 20 hrs left. Might wanna check those out.

I spun a bearing and am rebuilding mine with forged internals(sloooowly) too. Cant wait to get it back on the road.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 AM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a killer setup. I dunno if you researched the different forgings, but the 2618s are a little tougher. Did you get them for a steal? There are some stock bore 16cc DSS pistons on ebay right now for 50 bucks no reserve, 20 hrs left. Might wanna check those out.

I spun a bearing and am rebuilding mine with forged internals(sloooowly) too. Cant wait to get it back on the road.
2618 is "harder", but not necessarily "tougher". There is nickel and sometimes, other alloys in with the aluminum. That and the manufacturing method make the final product. There are some really good 2618 pistons out there. Mahle, worldwide, does more high tech racing than the others. They do Formula 1 and snooty stuff. They make a very good product. The ones I "bought" were about $700+ (no rings) most places. I got them for $560 with ring set. But I don't want to pay that for Ford Cobrarods made by Mahle. They are not the same specs. They may be fine, but won't cost nearly that. Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:35 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I don't know much about pistions but I would stay away from anything and everything like that!

Quick Reply: I Need Help Quick! - - I Think I Just got Ripped Off