4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new exhaust not loud

Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Default RE: new exhaust not loud

ORIGINAL: blownslt

Dude you're actually wrong. The rear o2 sensors are located between the front and rear cats. If you cut the rear cats off the car has no idea since the rear o2 sensors are located before them.
I don't know about your setup but............my rear o2 sensors are located after the rear cats (or in my case where they are supposed to be). And I agree that the front sensors control the air and fuel mixture or ratio, I didn't think I had to make that point....I was just trying to state that my engine light has never came on and the sound is outstanding........thats all.

I guess I'll have to take a pic of my stock midpipe tomorrow to show you that you're wrong.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeping stallion

ok come on guys stop fighting to each his own.
since my o/r/ with 40 isnt loud enough for me u guys mentioned the lm1. any lead to a good price. i just wanna get mufflers not the whole catback. does anyone have any clips
If you like the chambered muffler sound, but just want it louder get some spintech prostreet mufflers.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

since when did the second set of o2 sensors come between the cats? btw, the first set of "cats" are not actually cats. they are a preliminary element. the second pair is actually the cat. that is why the o2 sensors tap off after the 2nd set. they feedback to the computer that the o2 mixture is good and that the cats are doing their job.

for most people, they will never put enough power to the ground to justify cutting off the cats. only high HP motors truly benefit from it. our OEM cats are actually pretty good at flowing exhaust. why 'f up your vehicle for no true benefit (I'm talking about inspections).

and exhaust tips do have and affect on the exhaust tone. my Magnaflow Single in, Dual out on my 5.4 F-150 sounded okay with just the pipes running out the rear. wasrather quiet. I was kinda pissed at first, thenI put the 3.5" tips on it, it got a hell of a lot louder. I've had people think a Harley was running when they heard my truck.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:34 PM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tylus

since when did the second set of o2 sensors come between the cats? btw, the first set of "cats" are not actually cats. they are a preliminary element. the second pair is actually the cat. that is why the o2 sensors tap off after the 2nd set. they feedback to the computer that the o2 mixture is good and that the cats are doing their job.

for most people, they will never put enough power to the ground to justify cutting off the cats. only high HP motors truly benefit from it. our OEM cats are actually pretty good at flowing exhaust. why 'f up your vehicle for no true benefit (I'm talking about inspections).

and exhaust tips do have and affect on the exhaust tone. my Magnaflow Single in, Dual out on my 5.4 F-150 sounded okay with just the pipes running out the rear. wasrather quiet. I was kinda pissed at first, thenI put the 3.5" tips on it, it got a hell of a lot louder. I've had people think a Harley was running when they heard my truck.
Went out and crawled under the GT....The 02 sensors are AFTER the rear cats (about a foot before the H pipe). The true benefit of removing any of the cats is purely sound. You can get an O/R sound at a fraction of the cost it would take you to actually get the O/R pipe.

$40.00 to remove rear cats versus $150+ (cheapest O/R pipe), $50 mils....... To get basically the same sound.

Exhaust tips DO make a difference in Decibels...Think of it as a trumpet. Play through a trumpet with a 2" hole and then play through a trumpet with a 3.5" hole....IT WILL BE LOUDER!!!!! I can attest to this because I wanted a different look on my L and went with these pee shooter looking pipes (2.5")....It calmed it down from stock. I then went with the 4" slash rolled and OMG.....Night and Day difference.

Just my .02 on this topic
Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 PM
redgt2000
2nd Gear Member

thank you for the info, i would not have thought it would have been as big of a change in sound , as lets say a mid pipe, but i could see were it would alter it. ill keep my mouth shut from now on , sorry guys!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:01 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jt01gt

Durr 727, ill give it 2 u, thats the best sounding v-6's Ive heard.
have you heard mine?