4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5spd V8 tranny question.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:37 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Default 5spd V8 tranny question.

Hey I'm a newb here on the boards and I have a 5spd V8 02 mustang, I've only had the car for 2 weeks and it has 52,000 miles. What's wierd is sometimes actually about 3/4 of the time when I shift from 1st to second it grinds into second gear and sometimes into third, but it's a slight grind. If I hold the clutch in for a second or two longer than normal shifting it doesn't grind only if I'm immidiatly shifting, also it doesn't grind if I'm downshifting only if I'm upshifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I thought it might be that it needs new tranny fluid but I have no idea, any one know what's going on with the tranny?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: 5spd V8 tranny question.

Sounds like your synchro's have taken a bit of a beating.

However, inconsistant grinding like that could be the fault of a clutch on it's way out.

I doubt tranny fluid willhelp.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:27 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Sounds like the same problem I'm having... and I'm pretty confident my syncro's have bit the bullet from my speedshifting..
Old 04-15-2007, 01:41 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

well what's funny is I just went for a ride in it and it hasn't done it all tonight.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:28 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Change the tranny fluid, at 52k miles it's probably never been changed; many (including myself) have been pleased with Royal Purple'sSynchromax. GM Synchromesh is also often recommended...[/align]
Old 04-15-2007, 09:35 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Change the tranny fluid, at 52k miles it's probably never been changed; many (including myself) have been pleased with Royal Purple'sSynchromax. GM Synchromesh is also often recommended...[/align]
is there a "how to" on here for changing tranny fluid?, or a brief explanation someone can give me?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:06 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

1. Pick up a Haynes manual at your FLAPS (note: do not consider a Haynes or any of the non-factory manuals to be a definitive source--they are nonetheless helpful for locating parts, etc.);[/align][/align]2. Unless you are very thin, raise the car using ramps or a jack and jackstands (do NOT get underany car while it's supported by only by a jack/jacks!!!);[/align][/align]3. The transmission has a filler plug on the passenger's side, and a drain plug on the bottom--loosen/remove the filler plug first, that way you won't end up with an empty transamission and a stuck filler plug. Once you are confident that you can remove thefiller plug place a large pan under the tranny drain plug and remove the plug. Use an openpan of at least 6 qts. capacity--the transmission holds 4 qts. or less, but it's thin oil and will splash everywhere when it first starts draining;[/align][/align]4. Let it drain and replace the plug;[/align][/align]There are some that now go through the astonishing effort of pulling the shifter so they can dump the oil in through the turret--however I use a 5 ft or so length on 3/8" vinyl tubing from Ace Hardware or similar and drop it from the engine compartment down to the fill hole on the tranny. Then you cut the tip off the oil bottle cap and just squirt it down through the hose to the transmission--the ATF is quite thin andnot difficult to force from the bottle as with heavier gear oils (though I have done this for years with other cars).[/align][/align]There are also pumps sold in the LAPS that I have found to be more hassle than they are worth, but some seem to like them.[/align][/align]As to refill quanity, Ford issued a TSB (TSB 04-15-6) that specifies using 3.0 L (3.2 qts.) of transmission oil, rather than the 3.8 qts. listed in the owner's manual. This reduces the tendency for the shft detents and forks to have "hydraulically" dampened movement, and improves shifting characteristics. I used 3.2 qts of Royal Purple Synchromax when I got my '03 GT (30 k miles)last December, theimprovement in shiftingis quite noticable.[/align][/align]
Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

1. Pick up a Haynes manual at your FLAPS (note: do not consider a Haynes or any of the non-factory manuals to be a definitive source--they are nonetheless helpful for locating parts, etc.);[/align][/align]2. Unless you are very thin, raise the car using ramps or a jack and jackstands (do NOT get underany car while it's supported by only by a jack/jacks!!!);[/align][/align]3. The transmission has a filler plug on the passenger's side, and a drain plug on the bottom--loosen/remove the filler plug first, that way you won't end up with an empty transamission and a stuck filler plug. Once you are confident that you can remove thefiller plug place a large pan under the tranny drain plug and remove the plug. Use an openpan of at least 6 qts. capacity--the transmission holds 4 qts. or less, but it's thin oil and will splash everywhere when it first starts draining;[/align][/align]4. Let it drain and replace the plug;[/align][/align]There are some that now go through the astonishing effort of pulling the shifter so they can dump the oil in through the turret--however I use a 5 ft or so length on 3/8" vinyl tubing from Ace Hardware or similar and drop it from the engine compartment down to the fill hole on the tranny. Then you cut the tip off the oil bottle cap and just squirt it down through the hose to the transmission--the ATF is quite thin andnot difficult to force from the bottle as with heavier gear oils (though I have done this for years with other cars).[/align][/align]There are also pumps sold in the LAPS that I have found to be more hassle than they are worth, but some seem to like them.[/align][/align]As to refill quanity, Ford issued a TSB (TSB 04-15-6) that specifies using 3.0 L (3.2 qts.) of transmission oil, rather than the 3.8 qts. listed in the owner's manual. This reduces the tendency for the shft detents and forks to have "hydraulically" dampened movement, and improves shifting characteristics. I used 3.2 qts of Royal Purple Synchromax when I got my '03 GT (30 k miles)last December, theimprovement in shiftingis quite noticable.[/align][/align]
thanks alot man, I've had an experience w/ scissor jacks, never again!