4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I got a major problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I got a major problem

ORIGINAL: gt_stang101

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

What JD is trying to say is, buy the trans am. It will be cheaper to reach the 400 rwhp mark and will consistently outrunmost 2valve mustangs.
And look like a catfish doing it
Wrong. That'd be a camaro. How does a trans am look like a catfish?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 AM
whiterabit998
2nd Gear Member

yea the late 1990's cobras and the 2001 make over 305 engine hp, and there cheap...plus idk if you have ever tried to work on a trans am or a z28 engine, but they are hard to work on!! you don't have room at all
Old 04-15-2007, 01:55 AM
devsredgt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whiterabit998

yea the late 1990's cobras and the 2001 make over 305 engine hp, and there cheap...plus idk if you have ever tried to work on a trans am or a z28 engine, but they are hard to work on!! you don't have room at all
ya half the engine is under the dash. to work on the back of the engine you have to take off the intake manifold!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:57 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: devsredgt

ya half the engine is under the dash. to work on the back of the engine you have to take off the intake manifold!
And why would you be working on the back of the engine? Whens the last time you had a header install quote of $175 for your GT? I assure you its about the same as far as difficulty goes. When I changed the plugs on my stang, it was a complete pain in the ***. Its the same way on an ls1.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:01 AM
devsredgt
2nd Gear Member

And why would you be working on the back of the engine? Whens the last time you had a header install quote of $175 for your GT? I assure you its about the same as far as difficulty goes. When I changed the plugs on my stang, it was a complete pain in the ***. Its the same way on an ls1.
well i have a mustang...obviously...and my brother has a firehawk and i would rather work on mine any day than his cause theres almost no room to work on the back half of the engine...but im sure you already knew that.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

well i have a mustang...obviously...and my brother has a firehawk and i would rather work on mine any day than his cause theres almost no room to work on the back half of the engine...but im sure you already knew that.
Yes but when do you work on the back half of the engine? Changing the plugs? Thats about the only time...Ill gladly take the extra 50rwhp for an extra hour of labor on changing plugs which are done about once every 50k miles...

Plus, you have to take some of the plugs out to do a header install, so you might as well swap them then. Kill two birds with one stone.

About the only actual difference is the height of the car, the vision, and the interior. A mustang sits higher, you can see better, and has a nicer interior. However, most people agree that the stang needs to be lowered so that points moot. So you are really only left with the vision aspect and long dash, and the less nice interior.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

but a blown SN95 Cobra will run circles around the LS1 :-) unless its stalled, and cammed... grrrrr lol
Old 04-15-2007, 02:23 AM
4.6BLKGT
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the older cobra....you can find a 97 or 98 or if ur lucky even a 99 for around that price range, and that makes it a whole new game
Old 04-15-2007, 02:25 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

The 98 Cobras are around 10k... if you can find one for 8k or so, slap a blower on it, total price- 12k, and you have a 450rwhp Cobra, which isn't to shabby if you ask me...
Old 04-15-2007, 02:37 AM
devsredgt
2nd Gear Member

Yes but when do you work on the back half of the engine? Changing the plugs? Thats about the only time...Ill gladly take the extra 50rwhp for an extra hour of labor on changing plugs which are done about once every 50k miles...

Plus, you have to take some of the plugs out to do a header install, so you might as well swap them then. Kill two birds with one stone.

About the only actual difference is the height of the car, the vision, and the interior. A mustang sits higher, you can see better, and has a nicer interior. However, most people agree that the stang needs to be lowered so that points moot. So you are really only left with the vision aspect and long dash, and the less nice interior.
plug arent your only worry...like the other day the oil sending uniton my brothers car went out and guess what the intake had to come off. you may ask wheres the oil sending unit located? on the back of the motor. im just saying theyre a lot more to work on than our 2vs.

Quick Reply: I got a major problem