4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I got a major problem

Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I got a major problem

maybe you people will understand gear ratios when your ***** drop.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:07 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

I have seen a friends gf's WS6 make 293 rwhp stock in summer in Florida... with cold weather, I can definatly see it...

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

mod for mod its no question that the LS1 is better, but I am still deifnatly not convicned that the average LS1 car is making 300 WHP.

With 280 WHP (full boltons + cams, stock suspension, 3.73s, drag radials) I was putting BOATLEGNTHS on stock LS1 cars from a dig, and hanging/winning from a roll. They are fast, but not unstoppable.
temperatures have nothing to do with whp numbers on a n/a car... the dyno automatically takes into account the weather conditions (temps, humitity, etc etc).

In fact, it really doesn't matter on turbo cars either. The only real difference is blower cars, since they have no boost control. In colder weather, a blower car will make more boost and thus more horsepower.

I can probalby see 290, but 300 is pushing it. He has a set of LTs and Y pipe now, and I would certianly be in trouble without the blower, but its just bull**** when everyone says they all make 300 WHP and run 12s right out of the box.

With zero tire spin, the car simply would not go faster than a 13.6, and this was in 50-60 degree weather with zero humidity. He tried over and over, and since its an auto there is little he can screwup except the launch, which as I said was perfect (for his car) with no tirespin.
Once again, you're basing everything off your friends car...Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords tested an SS into a 12.9X. Its been proven. Also your friend drives an auto, which from the factory will be slower than a 6 spd. And no its not bull****--01/02s put down 300rwhp out of the box and have been as high as 310-315rwhp bone stock.

Also a perfect launch would have some tirespin if hes on street tires.
I'm basing it on real life experence, not bull**** magazine times.

The car simply does not spin (or did not) at the track. So long as he only did a short burnout, with his tires at a cold pressure of 25 PSI he could preload the trans and when the light went green just pin the throttle and let off the brake.. it doesn't get any better in a stock auto.

His times got better and better as the night got colder and colder, to a best of a 13.61 I beileve. There was literally nothing left in the car.

My only point is that people talk about the GT vs LS1 debate as if a GT doesn't have a prayer without FI on a bone stock LS1 car, and nothing could be farther from the truth. A properly setup bolton only car will destroy a stock LS1 from a stop with a decent driver behind the wheel. Once the mods start, all bets are off, and the LS1 is definatly cheaper to mod, but its not an unstoppable car by any means or measurement.

Completely honest, if I was going to start over and have the car end up being what it is (something I have spent a LOT of money on, that rarely leaves the garage except to "play") I would have gotten an LS1.

However, I cannot say for a DD I would buy the LS1. The sightlines are terrible, its uncomfortable, loud inside, rattles like crazy, and it just isn't as good of a DD. His car as something like 26K on it.. stellar for a 00. Simply put, in everything but the power department the mustang is the nicer car.

One thing I DO like about it is that monsoon sound system though, it does sound better than my non subwoofer equipped mach 360.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:51 AM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Look at it this way. I had a Trans Am. It was fast as hell, great handling. There is a side road that leads up to my work where we would "speed test" our cars. My Trans Am would get up to about 85-95 before I had to stop. I recently bought a 2004 Mustang GT convertible and my speeds are about 15-20 mph faster than my trans am was. And my GT has about 40hp less than the trans am did. The gas mileage on my GT is better than my Trans Am was too.

All and all, the mustang was a much better car when it comes to performance/handling and gas mileage than the Trans Am was. But that is just my experience. I'm sure you'll be happy with either car. If you do get a Trans Am, get the WS6 package. I'd still go with the mustang if it were my choice though.