4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP... went through a BIG puddle

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
CalculatedKaos

Default HELP... went through a BIG puddle

So I was on my way to work yesterday and long story short I ended up going through a big puddle as the whole state is flooding. After this my car sputtered and bucked but kept running. I got to work and got a ride home so it could sit for a while. I got out of work today and drove home, under normal throttle all the way to WOT it seems to drive just fine with no hesitation, lag or anything. This story changes when I stop or come to an idle. When I get to a stop light or idle it either dies or almost dies and I have to heel toe the gas and brake to keep it going. I don't think I did any major damage and am planning to change the plugs because it feel like I fouled one or two. My question is, is there anything else I should do along with changing the plugs? I especially dont want to change them and have the same issue again, fouling out new plugs. It has been driven for like 45 min so i imagine the cylinder should be pretty well dried out at this point but I would really like some input from people that know... Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP... went through a BIG puddle

If you think you sucked in water, I would do a full tune up to be sure. Change the oil, plugs, everything. Id spray the MAF with some sensor cleaner as well just to be sure, be careful. You are LUCKY it did not hydrolock. Make sure to treat it right so prevent any lasting damage.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Yes - you need to be really carefull with CAI and Waterthat you did not suck in water into the engine.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:28 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

+2 on the full tune. Change your plugs, change your oil, clean your maf and unfortunately I would have to say take your throttle body, plenum right off so your intake can breathe, because water can be sitting in the bottom of the lower plastic intake still. Take them off and put a fan on it or blowing accross the car. I doubt it will evaporate in this cold unless you have your hood up outside and let the wind get in there!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
CalculatedKaos

Thanks for the replies I appreciate the help. I will put in new plugs and get the oil changed. I dont really got space to remove the TB/Plenum so I hope itll be ok with a plug change. I will also get some spray to clean the MAF out and make sure the pipe for the intake is dry... then I will pray.