4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What brand gears are these?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:55 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What brand gears are these?

ORIGINAL: FWP!

Shops around here do because brands like Motives require extra work because they need to mess around with shims more to get them installed correctly, so they charge extra labor.
False. I just had my 4.30's installed. The guy used stock shims and I think 1 or 2 extra, took the appropriate measurements, and everything was in spec. This guy knows what hes doing also, he only has a 9 second race car which he built himself.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:35 PM
breakinloose96
3rd Gear Member

My 3:73's have the Ford emblem stamped in them. So am assuming they are FRPP's
Old 04-21-2007, 06:51 PM
snov001

I recently purchased Ford 3.73s ( new on Ebay) and the only place around here who installs them is a tranny shop. They install the gear and call me and tell me there is a problem. I went up and drove it and you could feel like one gear was not meshing right because it had this faint thump. So there I am screwed.. they put Motive in and claim that is all they use when they buy them. I have to admit... the Motive gear is smooth and no noise at all. The down side... they quoted me 300.00 to put the Fords in.... the whole job cost me 1050.00. That left a mark...plus the Ebay dude " Just can't believe I had a problem but won't take them back because I bought them 3 months ago. Needless to say my Ebayin days are over.

SN
Old 04-21-2007, 08:31 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wes ley n the G T

ORIGINAL: FWP!

Shops around here do because brands like Motives require extra work because they need to mess around with shims more to get them installed correctly, so they charge extra labor.
False. I just had my 4.30's installed. The guy used stock shims and I think 1 or 2 extra, took the appropriate measurements, and everything was in spec. This guy knows what hes doing also, he only has a 9 second race car which he built himself.
False? Ok the shops were telling me that just for the fvck of it.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:33 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96stang

ORIGINAL: fiad06

no the pictures i took are frpp I bought them straight from the ford dealership....glad u got frpp

also notice the box under the first pic...frpp ftw lol
FRPP are not a "ford product"... FRPP are made by motives...

Some are, some aren't. The part numbers ending in "A" are Ford products. Ones ending with "M" are made by motive and they're a little cheaper. They're both considered FRPP parts but the Ford ones are better.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:48 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fiad06

ORIGINAL: kev2369

ORIGINAL: avlon06

did motive used to make ford gears... correct me if im wrong...
Motive makes the aftermarket Ford Racing gears, but not the stockers... Those aren't ford brand gears... Ford part numbers will be stamped in them if they are genuine ford parts, that typically start with "f*****"... Those might be a ford motorsport gear, but not oem ford
what about the optional 3:55s with the s197...are those ford or frpp
If its a factory option, it will be a genuine ford gear... Unless you are looking at specialty cars, there are very few occurances where you will see anything aftermarket on a warrantied vehicle... Ford makes a 3.55, and actually all the gears that most go with, except the 4.10 i believe, and they call it a 4.11...I may be wrong, but i think only the truck ever come out with the 4.11's unless they had it as an option on older bigger cars...
Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: snov001

I recently purchased Ford 3.73s ( new on Ebay) and the only place around here who installs them is a tranny shop. They install the gear and call me and tell me there is a problem. I went up and drove it and you could feel like one gear was not meshing right because it had this faint thump. So there I am screwed.. they put Motive in and claim that is all they use when they buy them. I have to admit... the Motive gear is smooth and no noise at all. The down side... they quoted me 300.00 to put the Fords in.... the whole job cost me 1050.00. That left a mark...plus the Ebay dude " Just can't believe I had a problem but won't take them back because I bought them 3 months ago. Needless to say my Ebayin days are over.

SN
Sounds like they don't know how to mic the gears correctly... Sounds like they just go with the motive because they come with a paper telling them where to set the lash... May be wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me
Old 04-22-2007, 04:52 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: breakinloose96

My 3:73's have the Ford emblem stamped in them. So am assuming they are FRPP's
The ford racing gears don't have a ford part number or stamp on them... You probably got a factory gear like out of an explorer or something... That's what i actually have in my car... There was a recall on the rear ends of the explorers and i bought a set off a speed shop... They provided the gear and installed them for 275 bucks and i haven't had a problem at all with them
Old 04-22-2007, 07:24 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I coulda sworn my FRPP 4.10's had "FORD" stamped somewhere on them. My installer requested that I get Ford Racing, otherwise I would have got Motive because of the price difference. I know he has put Motives in other cars for people...there must be a reason he prefers FRPP. He too has a 9 second 94 GT and owns the local Mustang Website

The relationship between Motive and FRPP has been talked about on here before, I think it was decided that some of the FRPP gear sets were Motive, some weren't. There was two different designs of packaging that could be used to tell the difference.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:46 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kev2369

ORIGINAL: avlon06

did motive used to make ford gears... correct me if im wrong...
Motive makes the aftermarket Ford Racing gears, but not the stockers... Those aren't ford brand gears... Ford part numbers will be stamped in them if they are genuine ford parts, that typically start with "f*****"... Those might be a ford motorsport gear, but not oem ford
+1

there are 2 different frpp gear sets too... one set will have a pic of a ring gear on the box and have stamped numbers, the other has a red 94-98 car on the front and has the ford symbol scratched on the gear...