4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Replacing purge valve and carbon canister.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 AM
Jeremy Whipkey

Originally Posted by Jeremy Whipkey
I realize this is an old thread, however, revival because I came here for advice in 2018 so later on it will help someone else. I have a 97 same code came up 1443 also on obdII scanner it said purge valve malfunction at advance auto. Anyway long story short, 3 things can cause this code, cheapest part is a vaccum hose leak, which is very noticeable if your hoses are dry rotted you probably got a leak somewhere with 75k miles I was good to go on that. The next cheapest part was the "flow sensor" the squarish black one that is on top. I changed that out, I have a 96 parts car with exact same engine/parts etc that was wrecked in a snow storm 2 years ago, unhooked battery to reset codes, BOOM! no more check engine light. SO this fixed my issue, which unless you have really high mileage is probably the cause.The next step would be to replace the vaccum solenoid sensor, stock they are white plastic with a black wrapping around it, aftermarket they are a gold or silver in color made of a metal/plastic material. Both the solenoid and flow sensor both have a 2 wire plug harness that will only fit its respected part. If you got this far, and youve reset your battery by unhooking it for 30 seconds in between replacing parts, then your getting ready to have a real PITA, the canister is bad, from either harsh weather, lots of mileage, or just simply bad luck, the charcoal canister is not cheap, it is not easy to get to, inner fender in the way, etc etc. If your not "really" good mechanically the part is more than $75 at Rock Auto and over $100 at your box stores, then if you can't do it yourself your paying 4 or 5 hours labor because of tire/inner fender wiring harnesses, and possibly moving the A/C condensor for access. Not a big fan of the location of the canister, I think it should be in the trunk compartment with and access panel above the gas tank so that people can work on the crap, but hey, FORD made it this way so we got to deal with it. Hope this helps everyone!
Mine is a COBRA with the DOHC engine also btw for location purposes passenger side, near firewall for flow sensor, and in between strut tower and firewall for valve solenoid.