4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

drag help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:13 AM
99GT4.6

Default drag help

ok guys so i finally got my car to the track to see what she could do, and i was somewhat disappointed. now i can hold it against myself too much becuase ive only had my car for 3 weeks now and im still getting used to the power considering my other mustang was a 6 banger and its the first time ive really raced (not trying to make excuses here) but i ended up running a 14.9....i was to say the most pissed after picking up that time slip. i was wondering if anyone could gimme pointers on launch's because i ran twice the first time i spun through first and second launching at around 2800 and ended up running a 15 and then launch at around 2 and hooked up in first ok,but spun through second...can anyone help.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:30 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: drag help

Stickier tires and a good feeling for your clutch is about all I can say.

My wife ran a 14.9 @ 93 in a 1993 300ZX 2+2 NA with just a catback, those are suppose to be 15.7 cars stock. She has an auto in it and launched hard, her average time was 15.2, her ET was 15.5
It was her first time racing the tree and she did great, only redlight once, the 4th run. We didnt expect the car to run that hard, and apearantly neither did all the sh*t talking honda owners that smerked at her car... Not a single one beat her down that track, even when she redlight,then stopped because she did and then took off like a bat outta hell after that00+ civic! lol Oh ya, the car has 182,000 miles on it

Best of luck at the track, I would practice somwhere that you know that you wont get in trouble at, and just practice your launches and 0-60ft.

-Eric-
Old 04-22-2007, 06:48 AM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

You do a burnout before launching? I see alot of people on Pinks do burnouts before they start the race. But they're using slicks, I don't know if it works the same with street tires.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:37 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

It does NOT work the same for street tires. Heating street tires will give you less traction. When running on street tires turn them over once or twice just to clean them off.

99GT...what kind of tires, and what kinda shape they in? What was your 60 foot time and trap speeds?

You probably just need better tires and a lot of practice launching with them.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 AM
mattofiesh
2nd Gear Member

i put my rear tires to @20 psi for the track (it seeme to help) just make sure to fill them back up for your way home (they should have air there).
good luck
Old 04-22-2007, 01:30 PM
99GT4.6

i have pirelli all weahter tires on the back (were on the car when i bought it) that are in pretty good shape, my 60' was 2.3 and my trap was 96, and i heard that heating them up doesnt help which i agree with. the first run i lit em up and it def. didnt help seeing as i spun through 1st and 2nd the second time i just spun em up a little to get the sand and crap off and it seemed to help.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:44 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Just practice launching and don't granny shift.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:54 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99GT4.6

i have pirelli all weahter tires on the back (were on the car when i bought it) that are in pretty good shape, my 60' was 2.3 and my trap was 96, and i heard that heating them up doesnt help which i agree with. the first run i lit em up and it def. didnt help seeing as i spun through 1st and 2nd the second time i just spun em up a little to get the sand and crap off and it seemed to help.
Your 60' is pretty bad... thats the main problem.

Dont heat your tires up.. just a quick spin to clean them off is all you need. Avoid the water box like the plague with street tires.
You may be launching to high for your tires.. try slipping the clutch and launching just a bit lower. You want no wheel spin leaving the line with street tires.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:23 PM
DEALBRk
1st Gear Member

Incorrect, yes avoid the water box. Yes heat em up, not a stage 5 john force burn out, but more than just 1 or 2 times. THE MAIN THING IS TO STAY OUT OF THE GROOVES. Lesson 1(grooves) where the rubber is from all the bad azz cars leaving out hard. Get on the bald pavement and that thing will break your neck. You know, out of the grooves, this is the number one killer of street tires at the track. Trust me it works.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:54 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DEALBRk

Incorrect, yes avoid the water box. Yes heat em up, not a stage 5 john force burn out, but more than just 1 or 2 times. THE MAIN THING IS TO STAY OUT OF THE GROOVES. Lesson 1(grooves) where the rubber is from all the bad azz cars leaving out hard. Get on the bald pavement and that thing will break your neck. You know, out of the grooves, this is the number one killer of street tires at the track. Trust me it works.
I have to dissagree here. Although I don't run street tires that often, I've found that when I did it hooked harder while in the goove. The high hp cars with big slicks usually leave some good sticky rubber behind. Also once you get out the groove it can make for a scary ride. BTW what part of Mississippi are you from?
Mike

Quick Reply: drag help