4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

built transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Default built transmissions?

I'mjust threeweeks away from getting my shortblock dropped in and hopefully by the end of the summer i'll have enough overtime to get boosted KB style [8D]before i hafta store it for the winter [X(]

but I was toying around with the idea of getting a built trans to accompany the new power.

I'm currently an 03 auto gt, and ive read a lot of people saying buy clutch kits, shift improvers, higher stalls, tq converters, tranny coolers etc.... however not one person has been able to answer to me or show proof of how much power an 03 auto tranny can hold....everyone has different answers which they heard from someone else or read in a mag blah blah....too much gray area.....

so i was toying around with the idea of maybe going with either a built lentech auto or even a built TKO 5speed from like MMR or something....somethings thats built specifically to handle higher HPby a manufacturer who knows what their doing.... The fact is, once it is all said and done i'll be working my way to 500rwhp and I dont want my transmission to be a weak point.

does anyone on here have a built tranny? 5sp or auto? and by the way I know what it entails to swap a stick into an auto, but i'm going to hafta dig into the tranny anyway so its gonna cost money.... lol so dont tell me just to buy a new stang ...its just an idea i've been kickin around
Old 04-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: built transmissions?

Im an auto too and would like to know how much HP the 4R70W (or whatever the name is) tranny can hold. Therefore you get a free bump
Old 04-22-2007, 11:58 PM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

There are a couple of places to look. Promotion Perfomance out of FLA, and D&D perfomance. If you are going to go with a stick look at the Viper spec T-56. Looks like you are willing to put the money in you car therefor look at getting the best trans. Pay for it once if you can. With the 6 speed you will have 2 overdrives on is a .70 and the other is a .50. This will allow you to step up the rear gear and not have super high rpm's at cruising speed. Any way you shake it it is going to cost good money for a good trans. I get my T-56 Viper Spec tomorrow and should have it back from the shop on Wed. I will let you know how it is.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:14 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Gonna be quite the job swapping over to a stick. Honestly, I would stick with a built automatic. Lentech puts out some terrific stuff, and nobody can shift as fast or consistantly as an auto.

I like the TKOs and T-56s, but its just soild truth that at 500+ your faster with an auto.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:58 AM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

2000GT4.6 - i fully understand the nightmare it can be swappin auto to stick as I helped my dad swap in a custom built 4 speed into his 1958 3sp.auto vette haha...THAT was a nightmare...

I know of some people on here that are dropping massive $$$ swapping in a stick instead of their auto just for the sake of having a 5-speed........i was just assuming that (correct me if im wrong...please) with the power level I'm aiming for, the stock 4r70w wont hack it.....and since a new transmission is in order, its not like i'm JUST swapping it for fun....more than likely i'll go with a built auto

that being said i can almost gaurantee i'll never see or rarely see a 1/4 mile strip. Sadly, I dont know of ANY in CT....and being that I'm 80% sure I'm going with a KB, and all the suspension stuff I have done is more for road racing as opposed to the strip, my GT will hardly be a great strip car.....thus i'm not worried about being able to shift as fast as humanly possible which is why a 5speed is a back-of-my-mind option.

just wondering how everyone here feels about buying a built trans over trying to build it up yourself.....