4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharging my 99 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:37 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Supercharging my 99 GT

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

I have an 01 GT with all the bolt-ons including cams. I have been having an occasional fuel pressure problem and I'm not quite sure what the problem is. On occasion when I "get on it" as I press the gas pedal my fuel pressure gauge starts dropping as I am pressing the gas...eventually dropping all the way down to 0 at about 5000rpm and then the car starts to bog. The problem is not there all the time. I have already had the fuel filter replaced and was curious where I should start next. I think I am going to go ahead and replace the fuel pump to rule that problem out. Under normal driving the car runs and idles fine...but the fuel pressure never seems to read a consistent pressure...it is constantly bouncing around between 20 - 40 and never goes above 40. Any suggestions?
Are your injectors stock? They may be your weakest link. I think your fuel pump could handle 5-6 psi, but if you have stock injectors you're limited.
All things equal (cars identical except for the blower) a KB car is going to get its *** handed to it by a centrifugal one, hands down. They simply make more power.
centrifugal blowers don't "simply make more power" throughout the entire rpm range, only on top. There is now way in 2 identical cars, 1 with a kb, the other with any centrifugal blower, tha tthe centrifugal car will wil, let alone hands down. As a matter of fact, with capable drivers, the screw will win EVERY TIME. I know what your gonna say...
Look at all of the pro street etc cars in mustang competition. Every single one either runs a turbo or a centrifugal (or N20), I have yet to see a single competition mustang run a KB or a eaton.
In NMRA competition, these cars are all out race cars. That means they are purpose built cars with racing mods. These cars run very short racing gears, which works well with a tt or centrifugal setup. These cars rev A LOT higher with radical cams, which dictates the power adder choice. Since these cars ARE NOT street cars, they can't really benefit from a screw setup. -But streetcars can.
If you actually look at the RPMs you use when racing, the centrifugal is making more power almost 100 percent of the time (after launch)
...Compared to a roots blower, maybe. Compared to a screw, I doubt it. As a matter of fact, in the dec issue of MM&FF, they do dyno comparisons between tt's, roots, screw and centrifugal. If you compare the screw with the Vortec, the vortec hp curve(11 psi) finally meets the kb in hp at around 5750 rpms. It takes that long for the centrifugal to match a screw in hp at the same boost. Roots is a different story, but I'm not talking about roots blowers. I won't even talk about the mis-match in tourque curves.

because it makes all of the torque down at like 2000 RPM.
...It makes all the tourque across the board, not just down low.
If nothing else, you arnt going to get much traction with a KB on street tires
That's all about driver. To make a centrifugal shine, you need short gears, the shorter the better to a point. Running really short gears also works against you for traction. It goes both ways. The bottom line is racing vs. real world. The screw is better for real world applications. I'm tellin ya from a guy who owned both, raced both, and streeted both. My screw car stock made less hp than my centrifugal car on the dyno and had shorter gears, but it was faster. Why? I was in a peak hp range longer. Why do you have trouble swallowing that fact? Look at the MM&FF december issue, which backs my argument.

Damn! Homie just dissected 2000GT4.6! LOL