4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

White smoke??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:25 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default White smoke??

White smoke has been belowing out of my exhuast for like a week now, someone said something about it at firt and I thought it was just moisture. Today after my oil change I noticed it. It's mostly at idle and goes away during a free rev, either that or there is so little that it just blows it out of sight if you know what I mean. What is this and how do I fix it?
-Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default RE: White smoke??

I've heard of this being burnt coolant fumes. It's happened to me once before, but only out of my driverside pipe? That was RIGHT before I blew my spark plug. I doubt it has anything to do with it, but check if your plugs are tight and functioning just in case.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:31 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

I've heard of this being burnt coolant fumes. It's happened to me once before, but only out of my driverside pipe? That was RIGHT before I blew my spark plug. I doubt it has anything to do with it, but check if your plugs are tight and functioning just in case.
HA it was coming mostly out of my drivers side pipe, plus i have a misfire im pretty sure, im pretty sure its from a fowled out plug...any more info on this?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
breagles
2nd Gear Member

piston ring ?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
ky gt
1st Gear Member

I have the same problem with the smoke.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:20 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

White smoke is coolant. Get down and smell it if it smells sweet then its coolant and probably a head gasket.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:45 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

i say its cause the mustang is SOO fast, that it smokes while its parked. i also said the bears would win the super bowl.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:51 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

White smoke is coolant. Get down and smell it if it smells sweet then its coolant and probably a head gasket.
Not necessarily, but most of the time! You can have blow by and to most it appears "white" unless you get a real good look at it or get up against a white car to see the blue. If it's not coolant (head gasket or head prblem) then it's most likely a valve stem seal! They run like $30 at local parts store and take about 5 hours to do! You can still have super high compresion and have either ring or valve seal problems also. You really need to do a leak down test to properly diagnos the sitiation
Old 04-23-2007, 06:31 PM
1hotdrp
3rd Gear Member

thats what i figured also
Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Not necessarily, but most of the time! You can have blow by and to most it appears "white" unless you get a real good look at it or get up against a white car to see the blue. If it's not coolant (head gasket or head prblem) then it's most likely a valve stem seal! They run like $30 at local parts store and take about 5 hours to do! You can still have super high compresion and have either ring or valve seal problems also. You really need to do a leak down test to properly diagnos the sitiation
If there aren't any bubbles in the radiator (meaning compression from engine getting into coolant passageways, read bad head gasket) then it could also be a bad intake gasket. The intake has coolant runners in it. If one of these just corrodes through or get through the gasket, you'll suck coolant into the intake then into your engine.

Quick Reply: White smoke??