4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Midpipe today!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Midpipe today!

Yea, a lot of people don't like the gasket that Mac gives you to use. Some people reuse the OEM, or buy a new OEM one from Ford. But that's doing too much. I'd say try to reuse the OEM gasket. If it gives you problems, them try the one that AJ97GT suggested. I'm sure either will be better than the one Mac sends. Everyone has problems and leaks from that.

Also, sometimes it can be hard to get the o2 sensor out. If you can't get it out while you're under there, then just unplug it (while it's still in the mid pipe), and try to take it off with the mid pipe out on the ground. You'll be able to stand up and get better leverage to get it off. But if you have to do this, you will need some PB blaster. That stuff works good.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

if you ask me, getting the passenger side nuts off was a cake walk compared to unpluggingthe damn o2 sensors [:@]
Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

OK! Got the install done and works great... I'm not sure on any leaks yet. When I took the pipe off the stock gasket looked great so I re-used it. The thing that took the longest was making MIL's + O2 sensor extensions... but I've gone 50 miles so far and no CEL

Dropping the stock pipe was easy... The "hard bolt" was the 2nd easiest one, the other one on the passenger side was easiest... The two driver's side ones were so tight, I had a problem with them. Unplugging the front O2's was tough but plugging them back in was worse. They can be taken out by hand! You don't need a screwdriver... Just push the little tab down and pull and it comes apart pretty easy. I thought I had to pry up on it too... which would have made things much harder. Everything is all snugged up now and the sound is sexy.

There was no way I was going to be able to unscrew the O2's with the stock pipe in the car, I just unplugged them and put a wrench on them and kicked the wrench a little, came off easy.

I've got a flowmaster cat-back... stock exhaust manifolds. I will get some exhaust clips up tomorrow and see if I can track down any leaks I may have... I can definitely hear the engine inside the car now at part to fullthrottle, not the exhaust sound, but the lugging kind of sound so I am not sure if I have a leak. I will need someone outside of the car to let me know. Either way the difference is so sweet... I am SO glad I did this instead of getting springs

Edit: And something that I haven't seen posted yet, my car is so much more free revving now! I gave the throttle a little blip to bring it from idle to 3k or so and it ended up around 4200... the revs go up so much faster... amazing.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:15 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Bro its always going to sound like that... Mac = The suck!

My buddy just tried to install the mac 3" catback into his 04 cobra and its about an inch to short LOL.. He called them back and bit*hed them out... Its the right part number and everything and they just said oops sorry.. I guess it just doesnt fit? And hung up on him! Those bas.tards!

P.S. Im sure alot of you have a perfectly fine working mac midpipe and catback.... But i have heard just as many horrer stories about them as i have good ones....
Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Get the OEM gasket from Ford for 8 bucks and be done with it!