4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

thinking about a blower

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:21 AM
yuengling910
1st Gear Member

Default thinking about a blower

well i've been thinking about getting a blower for awhile now but i havesome questions.
i'm pretty set on a centri charger due to the fact my car is a daily driver (i can stay out of boost in rain). i would do the install myself and take it somewhere to get it tuned. problem is there are no tuners (diablosport which i already own and would like to keep) within about 120 miles. for this reason i've been considering the mph mongoose kit because the tune they send could at least get me to a dyno shop. i would rather not have to pay again for a new tuner. does anyone know if i can get a mail order tune from them some how for a diablosport?

second option would be to go with a procharger or paxton kit from somewhere else. i haven't been able to find any kits that compete in price. is it worth the extra cash for one of these kits like the ones from THR? i know they usually come intercooled which is probably adding the extra loot.

third option would be to piece a kit together off ebay/ other websites. problem here is lack of any type of tune to get my *** to a dyno.

anyone give me some thoughts/suggestions?

also what other kinds of things do i need to think about saving cash for? boost/ fuel press. gauges, suspension down the line, etc.

last question, if i get all set up and dyno tuned and down the road i decide to change intake/headers/t.b./plenum/intercooler/etc. i would have to get retuned right?

thanks for the help.

peace

current mods arent much and are in sig.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 AM
cahtr6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: thinking about a blower

You can stay out of boost with a roots or twin screw it all depends how deep your foot is into the pedal
Old 04-24-2007, 01:57 AM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

I bought my kit on ebay. I bought a SCT tuner with 3 custom tunes from a dealer. They are actually good tunes that can be tweaked for more HP. I would say you could do the same with diablo sport.On ebay you can get a supercharger kit for half the price of new which leaves you money for extra mods.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yuengling910

well i've been thinking about getting a blower for awhile now but i havesome questions.
i'm pretty set on a centri charger due to the fact my car is a daily driver (i can stay out of boost in rain). i would do the install myself and take it somewhere to get it tuned. problem is there are no tuners (diablosport which i already own and would like to keep) within about 120 miles. for this reason i've been considering the mph mongoose kit because the tune they send could at least get me to a dyno shop. i would rather not have to pay again for a new tuner. does anyone know if i can get a mail order tune from them some how for a diablosport?

second option would be to go with a procharger or paxton kit from somewhere else. i haven't been able to find any kits that compete in price. is it worth the extra cash for one of these kits like the ones from THR? i know they usually come intercooled which is probably adding the extra loot.

third option would be to piece a kit together off ebay/ other websites. problem here is lack of any type of tune to get my *** to a dyno.

also what other kinds of things do i need to think about saving cash for? boost/ fuel press. gauges, suspension down the line, etc.

last question, if i get all set up and dyno tuned and down the road i decide to change intake/headers/t.b./plenum/intercooler/etc. i would have to get retuned right?

thanks for the help.

peace

The vortech mongoose kit from MPH is the best deal. They can't send you a tune for the diablo but the SCT is alot better. You can sell your diablo for 200+.
You don't really need gauges but they're good things to have. Boost, FP, Wideband
As far as suspension goes, sticky tires and U/L control arms will be a good start.
If you got it tuned and added other stuff to it, you would probably only have to have it tuned after headers and the intercooler. All of the small mods shouldn't hurt you. But you must get your car tuned after the blower install to check A/F.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

+1 with MPH
Old 04-24-2007, 12:25 PM
banginstang07
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jpmustanggt

thanks for the help.

peace

The vortech mongoose kit from MPH is the best deal. They can't send you a tune for the diablo but the SCT is alot better. You can sell your diablo for 200+.
You don't really need gauges but they're good things to have. Boost, FP, Wideband
As far as suspension goes, sticky tires and U/L control arms will be a good start.
If you got it tuned and added other stuff to it, you would probably only have to have it tuned after headers and the intercooler. All of the small mods shouldn't hurt you. But you must get your car tuned after the blower install to check A/F.
+1 the MPH is the best deal and thats the one i think im going to get but im going to do a little more research beforeI buy buti don't know if i would trust myself to drive it to a tuner so im going to trailer it there when I do it. but i agree just sell the diablo and get the SCT.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:37 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

thanks for the help.

peace

So far as the tuner, SCT> diablo anyway. The MPH mongoose kits come with the SCT handheld, so there isn't any extra expense (above kit price). Then you can sell your diablo as stated.

The MPH tune should do more than get you to the shop. All you need to do is pay for the acutal dyno time. If the tune is not dead on (99.99 percent it will be) tim can fix it for you via the internet. So long as your dyno shop has the net (if they don't......) the only other thing you need is a 5 dollar USB cable to connect to the PC, and they can email you a new tune instantly.

However, on the slight chance it needs tweaked some more than likely the only thing you will have to do is have tim talk you thru it and use the handheld itself (with exsisting tune) to tweak it.

After getting the install done, MPH can send you retunes via the internet at any time for future mods. You would definatly need a retune after the cooler (just to get your power where it should be) and probalby after the headers. After any partinstall on a FI car I would recommend a a/f ratio check, no matter how small, just to be safe. All this really means is that you need to save up your $$ and do the mods together, aka do them in batches, to minimise retuning.

So far as the suspension, gauges, etc, none of them are really nessicarry. Anything you do will improve the car, but you can get away with even a bone stock car + blower and still have a fairly stout ride. I was making 415+ WHP on a bone stock suspension/brakes for almost a year. Its defiantly better/faster with the new parts, but it was ok before (espcially on the street).

Also +1 on the twin screw thing... you don't get into boost all the time unless your foot is far enough down on the go pedal.It sounds like your on a budget though... not the best place to start when getting a twin screw setup

I went with the MPH kit over a year ago, and could not be happyer. You can save a LITTLE money by peiceing it together, but its much more trouble than its worth, and with the MPH kit you get a tune from tim... probalby the best part of the kit. IMO MPH is simply the best 2v FI tuner in the country, hands down. They simply know what they are doing, there not some jimmy john half *** shop with no experence, and they get the job done right the first time.

Mongoose kit ftw.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

you could always keep your eyes open for a used kit.

a little under $3k installed and tuned (not including the cost of the SCT handheld). if youre installing yourself...then it only woulda been like $2400 or so.

if i went new id prolly go MPH...never heard anything bad, and its a pretty good deal.