4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Automatic to a Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 AM
smw91185

Default Automatic to a Manual?

Hey i have a 2003 mustang gt centennial edition..its an automatic and i was thinking about switching over to a manual transmission, but i dont know much about the stuff so i need some help. what would i need to get to do the swap, how much would it cost to have done ...or would it just be easier to go get a donor car and get the parts that way?? or jus trade in my car and get a manual?? somebody let me know.....thanks...shawn
Old 04-24-2007, 11:04 AM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic to a Manual?

ORIGINAL: smw91185

Hey i have a 2003 mustang gt centennial edition..its an automatic and i was thinking about switching over to a manual transmission, but i dont know much about the stuff so i need some help. what would i need to get to do the swap, how much would it cost to have done ...or would it just be easier to go get a donor car and get the parts that way?? or jus trade in my car and get a manual?? somebody let me know.....thanks...shawn
Alot of people on here will tell you that it will be best to just trade it in and get a 5-spd car. I am also thinking about doing this swap, and got quoted right around $1,000 for everything plus instal. I found a 5-spd out of another 2002 GT at a junkyard for $500 that only had 41k miles on it. You just need to search around.

Also, do a search, I know that this has been covered a couple times.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:28 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

If you have to hire a mechanic to do the work, the labor alone is gonna cost +$1000 they don't just swap trannies they also need to install the pedal assembly, fiddle with the computer.. even some interior console pieces need to change.. a lot of work

Sell the car & buy 1 witha stick
Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

You need Panel around the shifter, pedals, tranny wiring harness, flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch, tranny, tune,driveshaft, radiator and I think engine block plate. Easy swap if you have some skill.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:14 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if it changed from 01 to 03 but I think the radiator is the same. My radiator in my manual has the tranny fluid ports plugged, so unless you wantedit changedto sleep better at night I don't think it's necassary.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:39 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Why bother to do the swap if there are little/no mods done to the car? To a dealer, the autos are worth more than the manuals anyway (both in book value and ease of unloading, automatics sell to middle aged women).

Just trade it on a stick with less miles, should cost you virutally nothing.

If your still really serious about the swap, I would look into something like a TKO/T56. Why do all the work to swap it out and then have a ****ty stock transmision thats going to break if you beat on it? The cost is much higher, but you will be much happier as well with the results.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:48 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ok here is the deal the amount of money you will spend swapping an auto to a manual, will basically equal what you will spend doing forced induction, tune and shift kit. an auto can become faster and more reliable than a manual, you just gotta put in the right parts. if youre dead set on a stick, just trade in your car for one.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:06 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

you need the tranny, the shifter, the clutch kit, clutch cables, you might need a flywheel, the pedal assembly anda 5 speed computer! becuase autos and manuals have different computers.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 PM
wb_white_boy

i have a 2000 Auto GT, and it walks 5 speed GTs with almost the same mods as me. i love the automatic, exspecially when you get the ****ers with the 5 speeds, and laugh cause they think there gonna walk you cause you have a auto. i dont even have a tuner in mine, so im sure it would be better yet when i adjust the shift point. but 5 speeds are fun to drive.... its all bout the autos now.... lol
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 PM
JT76

ORIGINAL: wb_white_boy

i have a 2000 Auto GT, and it walks 5 speed GTs with almost the same mods as me. i love the automatic, exspecially when you get the ****ers with the 5 speeds, and laugh cause they think there gonna walk you cause you have a auto. i dont even have a tuner in mine, so im sure it would be better yet when i adjust the shift point. but 5 speeds are fun to drive.... its all bout the autos now.... lol
Autos suck from rolls, thats my only complaint

Quick Reply: Automatic to a Manual?