4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New axles and rear end?

Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

Default New axles and rear end?

Hey guys good neaw here, just found out im getting a 1500 settlement for my accident, so i want ot upgrade my rear end and axles. What i was thinking of doing is buying a pair of 31 spline forged steel Moser axles from AM for 268 and the Eaton Posi 31 spline rear end. Do i need anything else to complete my kit? I was also wondering about the gears...they said it comes with heavy duty gears but they dont mention whats the gear ratio it comes with. Anyone know if they come with gears or do i have to install my 3.73s on there?? Thanks for ur help

Dave
Old 04-24-2007, 02:24 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New axles and rear end?

I recommend a rear end girdle....puts slight pressure on the main caps and keeps themin place....if you gonna do any drag racin....and lauching with drag radials or slicks.....and no they dont come with the gears you are thinking of.....spider gears most likelyis what they are speaking of....so your gonna need a gear setthe ratio of your choice....
Old 04-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

oh all right so ill have to add the gridle to that combo. Now as far as the gears, would my 3.73s from the stock rear end fit the new unit? thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 02:38 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Yes ,,,your old gears will work,,but may need to re-shim to get the correct backlash..maybe, maybe not....girdle only if you plan on abusing it at the track or on the street with some type of drag radial or slick....
Old 04-24-2007, 02:58 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I just ordered my stuff last night.
Here's what I got: http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=463
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
You can use your old gears, personally unless you're a strict drag racer, I don't think the girdle is necessary, but it can't hurt you.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

thats awesome, well i was thinking of having a shop install the gears and stuff and me diong the rest. I would probly take off the rear end and bring it to the shop and have the do that. What do u think? Or should i just have them put together the whole axle assembly and having me put it back on my car?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:25 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

i dont think you need the girdle unless your doin some major major drag racing.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

i dont think you need the girdle unless your doin some major major drag racing.
oh ok well i probly wont get it now cause i rarely go to the track but when i go i used slicks. Later on down the road ill just have to buy the gridle.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

if your into open tracking or autocrossing, look into a torsen tr2 lsd instead of the eaton unit. Other then that, your setup is what I have planned in the next phase of mods.. moser 31 spline axle+c clips, t/a girdle, 3.55 gears, tr2 lsd, and rear brake upgrades.

Since your axle is gonna be off, if you wanna upgrade your rear brakes to something bigger then this would be the best time to do so.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

if your into open tracking or autocrossing, look into a torsen tr2 lsd instead of the eaton unit. Other then that, your setup is what I have planned in the next phase of mods.. moser 31 spline axle+c clips, t/a girdle, 3.55 gears, tr2 lsd, and rear brake upgrades.

Since your axle is gonna be off, if you wanna upgrade your rear brakes to something bigger then this would be the best time to do so.
hmm well i really dont do any of that but i occasionally go to the dragstrip. I might upgrade the brakes as well but i cant go with anything bigger than stock cause i have to run a 15 inch rim w/slicks at the track. Is there anything i could get in the stock sized that would improve them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New axles and rear end?