MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   PI Swap questions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/279992-pi-swap-questions.html)

karmstrong_2 04-25-2007 04:19 PM

PI Swap questions

I'm looking into doing some sort of mod that will really make a difference on my car soon. I've got a lot of the bolt ons and all that but I'm just wondering what would be best doing a PI Swap or Gears? What all would I need to do the PI swap? Where can I get it from? And how hard is it to do the installation? Thanks a lot guys

96GT226410 04-25-2007 04:26 PM

RE: PI Swap questions

The PI swap is a lot of work. You have to set aside some time and maybe a buddy or two to help you. Parts for everything can be kind of expensive. I got everything I needed including all gaskets, new timing chain tensioners, and some other stuff for $700 shipped to my door. There is somebody on here selling P&P PI heads for $700 shipped. I'd look into that. It's a good deal. If I didn't havemyheads, I'd get those. I've heard of shops charging about $1,000 to do the work.... Gears are great. They give you a nice kick. They don't add power, they gearedso your engine can spin quicker. They can go from $450-$650 installed. Do what you want. Either way, if you want any real power down the road, go for the PI swap.

Zanador 04-25-2007 04:56 PM

I would say PI swap first, because it also increases how effective your bolt ons are. Not to mention it gives you a top end, which with a NPI Intake you really dont have after 4500 RPM. Heads, Cams, Intake, Coolant Hose, New Oil tube,Intake/Head gaskets are the basic things you need, try and get the heads fully assembled to make it easier to put on. It is a long job, but if you are careful, can be done with the engine in the car. If you dont have any experience, I would really suggest finding someone who has pulled an engine apart to give you a hand, so you have a backup just incase.

Nitti00GT 04-25-2007 05:03 PM

I'd say do the PI swap also. It adds like 60 hp to a 96-98 because it has more compression then our PI motors. I pulled my own heads myself and put everything back together myself. It's not that hard at all. I sometimes didn't even have any help. The 4.6 SOHC is a very easy motor to time. Oxfordgt has a whole write up on building a motor. You can prolly also PM him because he has an online manual he can send you. It helped me out a lot. Good luck.

Oh yeah you can get ford racing head gaskets (basically stock replacement) with head bolts, exhaust manifold gaskets, and new oil dip stick from Summit or Jegs for $115 which is a great deal.

97stanger 04-25-2007 05:17 PM

i think getting some p/p PI heads would be a good idea too while you're swapping them. maybe even a more aggressive cam than the PI ?? Crower? VT? you can do a stage 2 with new springs...that will give you another 10-15more rwhp than the stock PI cams