4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2000 Mustang Gt

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:35 AM
Saleen150

Default 2000 Mustang Gt

Hey guys i got a 2000 Mustang GT Auto...with about 120,000 miles on it....runnin so so.....my friend is selllin me a vortech supercharger with less than 1,000 miles on it......he is sellin it to me around $3,000 what should i do??? buy it and drop it and let the motor break down or fix the motor fist then drop the supercharger??? build my motor and boost more??? i wanna be pushin around 500 can i???? what does it take???
Old 04-26-2007, 04:57 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2000 Mustang Gt

I wouldnt even consider a SuperCharger with that high of mileage... ESPECIALLY if it is running "so so"! Sell the car and buy one with less miles! If you want to keep it... pull the motor and re-build it! then build it for high PSI while it is out... you can make one fast stang real easy! Or.... you could say screw that Vortech alltogether and swap in a 4v!
Old 04-26-2007, 04:59 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

I wouldnt even consider a SuperCharger with that high of mileage... ESPECIALLY if it is running "so so"! Sell the car and buy one with less miles! If you want to keep it... pull the motor and re-build it! then build it for high PSI while it is out... you can make one fast stang real easy! Or.... you could say screw that Vortech alltogether and swap in a 4v!
Why, does the idea of spending more money to be slower appeal to you?

120K isn't that much for a modular if its been well maintained. It probably won't do anything stupid like blow up etc, but if its already using oil or having problems its going to increase with the blower.

I put mine on at 70K with zero problems and I run it hard. 3K for a used vortech kit is a bit steep though... your supposed to get a discount from your friend, not an increased price typically they run aroud 2500 bucks used.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:18 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

120K isn't that much for a modular if its been well maintained. It probably won't do anything stupid like blow up etc, but if its already using oil or having problems its going to increase with the blower.

I put mine on at 70K with zero problems and I run it hard. 3K for a used vortech kit is a bit steep though... your supposed to get a discount from your friend, not an increased price typically they run aroud 2500 bucks used.
Sounds likehis friend is charging him up the *** for shipping and handling fees
Old 04-26-2007, 05:22 AM
Saleen150

no!!!! it has less than 1,000 miles..........i think it has like 300 not so sure and he wants 3,000 with the boost pipe chip and someother things....
Old 04-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

if you keep looking you can find some nicer deals.. you can buy a brand new mongoose kit from mph for a few hundred more. run a compression test/trickle down, if everything is within norms then your pretty much safe to run the vortech anywhere from 6-10 psi depending on tune.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I say do it. You could probably find a better deal but it would be worth the extra few hundred knowing what the charger has been through. It's coming from your friend so you know what kind of abuse the charger has been through. It's better than buying a charger from someone you've never met. As for the 500 hp, build the motor before you try it. The stock bottom end won't hold it for long.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

If you were to pull the motor... buying a 4v or possibly a 3v would be a plausible option if you ask me... he wants 500hp... the 4v will get that easier and stronger! He said the motor was running "so, so", that does not sound like a well kept car to me! Very possibly it just needs a tune up... but who knows what "so, so" means? I wouldnt go trying to get 500hp on a motor with over 100k miles on it... unless that was one damn good runnin car! "so, so" does not fall into that category if you ask me! Aside from the added stress from the blower, there are other parts that are looking to go out at that mileage... typically anyways... water pumps... fuel pumps... like you said... it depends on how well it was taken care of! "so, so" pretty much sums it up!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

If you were to pull the motor... buying a 4v or possibly a 3v would be a plausible option if you ask me... he wants 500hp... the 4v will get that easier and stronger! He said the motor was running "so, so", that does not sound like a well kept car to me! Very possibly it just needs a tune up... but who knows what "so, so" means? I wouldnt go trying to get 500hp on a motor with over 100k miles on it... unless that was one damn good runnin car! "so, so" does not fall into that category if you ask me! Aside from the added stress from the blower, there are other parts that are looking to go out at that mileage... typically anyways... water pumps... fuel pumps... like you said... it depends on how well it was taken care of! "so, so" pretty much sums it up!
Unless he's buying a fully forged 03/04 cobra 4v or a built 4v... he's not going to get any more power any quicker out of it than he could the motor currently in his car... Both the 2v and 4v are limited in power due to the rods/pistons.. so your talking around 400rwhp reliably with no heads/cams on EITHER.

And honestly, if he's pulling hte motor and buying a replacment, a fully forged 900+ hp rated 2v is going to be cheaper than a built 4v... especally if heprovides a core to knock off the core charge.there is no reason to do a 4v swap if your boosting your motor unless you just want to. 99% of the people on this forum wont even get close to the maximum air flow a ported 2v head can take.

Also, he doesnt have anywhere near to many miles to put a blower on. I have 145k miles on my vert pushing over 400rwhp.. it gets dragged and ran on a road course somewhat regularly. The only problem I have is increased blow by past the rings, which is expected with high miles and a blower. If he's having any issues he can get those fixed.. depending on whats running bad on the car, if anything.

Just make sure in the kit your getting, you get injectors, fuel pump, etc. Go to MPH or even vortech's website and see what is included in the kit, t hen amke sure you get as many of those pieces as you can.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:32 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

unless you're getting an aftercooled kit, your "friend" is charging way too much. i bought my vortech used with everything including an SCT chip and an AFM powerpipe for $1800. you can get a brand new vortech kit for ~$3000 and spend another ~$250 on a powerpipe.